Cheating question.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
For the guys, this one is for you. Let's pretend your wife, girlfriend, etc was cheating on you. If someone else also knew, would you want them to tell you, or would you want to stay unaware and deal with it if/when you found out on your own?

I'm only interested in the guys perspective, not what a woman would want if she were in that situation. Why? Because I tried to Google this scenario, and no matter how I worded it, nearly every result was still about guys cheating on their wives, if you should tell the wife, and what should the wife then do. I guess Google is just sexist like that. Though if you ladies want to poll the men you know and reply with that, go for it.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I would want to know. I would not immediately trust anyone because I trust my wife completely(she would not be my wife if I didnt), but I would still want to know. That way I could confront it head on instead of possibly suspecting for a long period of time or never knowing at all.

Bob Sugar

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I would want to know, but only if there is some substantial basis for this belief. I would not want someone telling me that they think they saw her with a guy at a yoga class and then had coffee and then went to his house...they think. It seems people today get far too caught up in the (supposed) drama of others, often times misinterpreting what is actually going on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I would tell a friend only if I had substantial evidence. The problem with these types of scenarios is that what happens if the guy and the girl patch things up after the cheating? The woman is most likely going to try to alienate her boyfriend/husband from that friend who told. And lets be honest, guys tend to be cowards so when accusations fly, throwing your friend under the bus to substantiate the suspicion of cheating is pretty typical, "But Bob said he saw you kissing Steve!" The approach I would take as a friend is to ask the guy if he thinks the girl is right for him and maybe throw subtle hints about how she seems to be "too social" if I really value the friendship. The thing to keep in mind is that love makes men do crazy things and sometimes the best intentions can come back to bite you on the ***.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well this is something I'm going back and forth on, as I do know a guy that's been cheated on and I do have sufficient evidence. He's not a close friend, but more just an acquaintance, so things turning sour between him and me isn't a big consideration. I just don't want to see his wife hurt him (or give him something) and her history of this stuff is, let's just say less than stellar.

That's why I posed the question and in the way I did. I don't know if he'd want to be told, regardless of the situation, and the likelihood of breaking up the family with their two kids. Needless to say, tough choice.

anon8126715

Banned
Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
What did had to do with Android?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

They'd have to decide who gets the android if they decide to divorce... :p

I'd let him know, give him the evidence. If he's just an acquaintance then you don't have to worry about his friendship if he and his wife patch things up. if you give him solid evidence that he can use in court, then his wife won't screw him over during the settlement. Worse thing would be for her to screw him over a 2nd time.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Channeling Ann Landers, I'd advise MYOB unless he asks you. It isn't as if you know them well enough to make it your business... ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For the guys, this one is for you. Let's pretend your wife, girlfriend, etc was cheating on you. If someone else also knew, would you want them to tell you, or would you want to stay unaware and deal with it if/when you found out on your own?

I'm only interested in the guys perspective, not what a woman would want if she were in that situation. Why? Because I tried to Google this scenario, and no matter how I worded it, nearly every result was still about guys cheating on their wives, if you should tell the wife, and what should the wife then do. I guess Google is just sexist like that. Though if you ladies want to poll the men you know and reply with that, go for it.

I would want to know. I rather know now and end it now, instead of dragging out a relationship that's not working. If you have sufficient evidence at that I can at least confront her, if she has the over exaggerated "I can't believe you would ask that!" response, then I would know something's up and investigate myself.

Posted via VZW Moto X on the Android Central App

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
You can't call yourself someone's friend if you WOULDN'T tell.

Yes I would want to know. If I found out they knew afterwards they wouldn't be my friend anymore

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Of the people I would call friends, there's only a very few (like 2, maybe 3) who would not only have the courage to tell me, but who I would also trust that they're being honest and looking out for me. The rest? I would take with a grain of salt but also start keeping an eye open towards the possibility. If other evidence came up I would confront my wife, and go from there. However once a cheater, always a cheater - I've seen it too many times. I would have a hard (if not impossible) time trusting my wife if it turned out to be true - and would likely lean heavily towards divorce ASAP. Of course I don't even want to consider this too deeply - I'm not in that situation, don't want to be, and wouldn't wish it on anyone!

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Of the people I would call friends, there's only a very few (like 2, maybe 3) who would not only have the courage to tell me, but who I would also trust that they're being honest and looking out for me. The rest? I would take with a grain of salt but also start keeping an eye open towards the possibility. If other evidence came up I would confront my wife, and go from there. However once a cheater, always a cheater - I've seen it too many times. I would have a hard (if not impossible) time trusting my wife if it turned out to be true - and would likely lean heavily towards divorce ASAP. Of course I don't even want to consider this too deeply - I'm not in that situation, don't want to be, and wouldn't wish it on anyone!

Lean heavily? If I found out my wife was cheating she is out of there within the next five minutes.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I'd find out where 'they' meet up frequently. Then I would put a bug in my friend's ear and tell them, 'you should check out this place at this time, it would be to your benefit to see what's going on'. And then the ball is in his court.

My husband and I have been in this situation a few times with friends and we stayed out of it. Eventually the affected parties came to us for advice when they find out about the cheating spouse and every time they told us they wished they'd known sooner because they felt like a fool with it going on behind their backs. So now, if we know something, we just tell them what to look for and leave it at that.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I think the important thing is to flatly say what you saw. If you saw them kissing, say that. If you saw them driving together, say that. If you saw them in the shower together, say that. Do not imply anything. Just tell them what you saw and let them do whatever they want with the information. Sometimes things are not as they seem.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I think the important thing is to flatly say what you saw. If you saw them kissing, say that. If you saw them driving together, say that. If you saw them in the shower together, say that. Do not imply anything. Just tell them what you saw and let them do whatever they want with the information. Sometimes things are not as they seem.

If they are in the shower together then they are just saving money on the water bill then. /jk

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. If they see the 'cheating' spouse out with someone else they can confront their spouse then or later but it will be with first hand knowledge and not heresay. We've been through this numerous times with friends and relatives, it's always better than second hand info which may or may not be accurate.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Kinda surprised at the replies. I know there are reasons for telling or not, but I didn't expect the answers to my original question of "would the men want to be told" to be so unanimous.