Mattress suggestions - want one that lasts, what do you like?

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Here's a good one for the OT forums....

Shopping for a new mattress and it's a frelling turkey hunt to find a mattress brand/model that has good reviews. I know it's really subjective when it comes to what you like and what is comfortable, but I'm just looking for suggestions as to good experiences with a mattress that doesn't break down and start sagging or causing sore a sore back after a year.

Anyone have any suggestions? :)

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
The only suggestion I have is don't go cheap. It's true you may spend more for branding but a brand name mattress I bought in the 90s lasted years, while a no name mattress I bought in 2008 was wrecked within 3. I'm on another awful bed now although it's not quite as bad as the last one.

The best thing is still to go shopping in person because without really sitting on it you don't know how it will feel... that said, if I'd had more available money at the time I would have tried a sleep number since it can (supposedly) change at whim. Good luck! :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

HelloNNNewman

Administrator
Network Moderator
Oct 2, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I plan on spending some $$ on one because it has to last and it's something you use every night for years. Once I get some suggestions as to good Brands, I'll end up trying them out in person and putting them through the trial.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site

Yeah, I plan on spending some $$ on one because it has to last and it's something you use every night for years. Once I get some suggestions as to good Brands, I'll end up trying them out in person and putting them through the trial.

Also, think about things such as will you have any plans to move or make other changes in the next few years. If you buy something smaller because you have less space now, you may wish it were bigger if you move to a bigger space. And if you buy something giant, it could be much too big if you move someplace smaller, etc.

The only kind of bed I'm glad I never bought is a water bed. I tried one at a friend's house once and got seasick.

I also had a hard futon for many years, I got tired of it and thought it was too hard, but then made the mistake of getting a soft cheap bed and then neither felt right. I'd still use the futon, though. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
We have a mid range Sleep Number bed. I have MS and fibromyalgia and sleep is crucial for me to be able to function at all so I needed a bed that will adapt to my changing needs. I love it. There are newer and more advanced versions today. We bought ours in 2007 and it's still like new.

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I went to a Sleep Number store and was impressed, but haven't actually slept on one. If money wasn't an option, I'd probably get one simply because it shouldn't sag over time. They come with various pillow tops too. Can't speak from personal experience, but seems to have good reviews.

My only concern would be with pets. Don't want to puncture the air chambers.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
The pillow top is really thick and I use a thick mattress pad as well. We have cats, so that was a concern for me too. Check out last year's models, they're always on sale at normal mattress prices. Good luck!

Sent via The Big, Bad, Beautiful Note 3

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I have the Sleep Number C3 (I think). I was going to my chiropractor monthly it seemed (if not more often), until I got the new mattress. I've been 3-4x in the year since I got the mattress. It took me a week to acclimate to the new mattress, not sure if it was because I had the other side fully inflated (I'm single) or if it was the major change. Now I have no issue, I keep the other side within 2 steps of the side I sleep on.

Mine is a basic one, bought the platform with it (replaces the box spring). It took the guys about 30 minutes to assemble the whole thing. It actually would be VERY easy to move. The warranty is 20 years (better than most other mattresses) and when I was comparing mattresses it was comparable in price to the normal ones I found to be most comfortable.

Jalopiejoe

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Here's a good one for the OT forums....

Shopping for a new mattress and it's a frelling turkey hunt to find a mattress brand/model that has good reviews. I know it's really subjective when it comes to what you like and what is comfortable, but I'm just looking for suggestions as to good experiences with a mattress that doesn't break down and start sagging or causing sore a sore back after a year.

Anyone have any suggestions? :)

Tempurpedic!!!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3
"Size does matter!"

bevcraw

Net Mod Emeritus
Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
If you belong to Costco...

I bought a Novaform Memory Foam mattress from Costco a few months ago. It was a fraction of the cost of the Tempurpedic. My sister has a Tempurpedic and she said that mine is about the same as hers. It is firm, but there are no intersprings, so no pressure points. I am liking it a lot.

One additional benefit: It came in a box with wheels that I was able to stuff into my car. So no delivery charge. It is folded and shrink-wrapped under pressure. After you take the wrappings off, it takes a few hours for the mattress to "grow" to normal size.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've used as memory foam mattress before. They are comfy, but it developed a depression where I always laid on it. It was almost like sleeping in a bowl and started causing back problems. It wasn't a name brand, so there may be longer lasting ones out there.