Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Questions on unlocking

I can't find specific answers to some specific questions regarding unlocking. If I missed it, please point me in the right direction.

Just a few elementary questions regarding unlocking a carrier locked device. I know flashing doesn't unlock a phone. But you can pay $2 on ebay for an unlock code. What I wanted to know is:

a. If the unlock is successful and afterwards I flash the device with a custom rom, will the sim lock return?
    b. Does the phone send any notification to the carrier upon unlocking? No point unlocking the phone only for the carrier to remotely lock it (if such a thing is even possible).
    c. If the unlock is not successful, does the device retain any information regarding unlocking? If I do have to go to the carrier to unlock it, I don't want them going over the history of grey unlocking attempts. Also how often can I try before hard lock?

Global Posts
    198 Global Posts

Default Re: Questions on unlocking

Quote Originally Posted by devicenotcompatible View Post
    I can't find specific answers to some specific questions regarding unlocking. If I missed it, please point me in the right direction.

Just a few elementary questions regarding unlocking a carrier locked device. I know flashing doesn't unlock a phone. But you can pay $2 on ebay for an unlock code. What I wanted to know is:

a. If the unlock is successful and afterwards I flash the device with a custom rom, will the sim lock return?
    b. Does the phone send any notification to the carrier upon unlocking? No point unlocking the phone only for the carrier to remotely lock it (if such a thing is even possible).
    c. If the unlock is not successful, does the device retain any information regarding unlocking? If I do have to go to the carrier to unlock it, I don't want them going over the history of grey unlocking attempts. Also how often can I try before hard lock?
    No need to worry.
    a- unlock is permament (you can flash whatever you want, but beware ROMs with SL {SIM lock})
    b- no, but you can download CarrierIQ Scanner & Protection (Lookout labs ) from Play store :-)
    c- hardlock usually happends after 5 attempts with incorrect codes. But you can call your operator for unlock code and for small fee they will give you the code.
    Current Devices : Motorola G 16GB
    Past devices :Sony Xperia SP C5303 LTE,S3 GT-I9305,S4 mini GT-I9195, N7100,HTC One (M7),Galaxy S3, HTC One S, HTC One X (S720e), Nexus Prime - HTC Pyramid - Nexus S - Samsung Galaxy S II - HTC Desire S - HTC Desire HD - HTC Desire Z - HTC HD2 - HTC Topaz - HTC Touch HD - HTC Touch Pro - HTC Diamond.