Password managers?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
After reading some on how quickly passwords can be cracked nowadays, even what most people considered strong passwords at one time, I'm thinking of stepping mine up a couple levels and making them longer and unique to each site I need them on. I've heard password managers can be a good way to handle them so you only need to remember one master password. Where would be a trustworthy place to start looking up info on them and how they work? Also, suggestions on which ones are good? Don't want to end up getting a spyware program disguised as one, yaknow.

While not Android specific, I'd prefer something that works cross platforms. I access many places both from my computer and phones and my fianc? needs them as well, so would prefer something I can sync between devices if possible.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I use RoboForm Everywhere (Best Password Manager & Form Filler | RoboForm) It has apps for Windows, Mac, iOS and Android, stores the passwords on their server. The password database is protected by the password you use for your Everywhere account PLUS your master password for the database (if you choose to set one). Password Manager Features - RoboForm for info on how it works and the encryption used for storing your passwords. There is a local cache on each device, though that's kind of moot since most reasons you'd use it require an internet connection (web sites). It allows you to generate passwords based on criteria you set. The app can auto-fill a page you're on, or take you to the page an log you in. The Android version has its own browser, or you can copy/paste the login info in the browser of your choice or in an app login box (such as your bank's app if you have one).

I've been using this app for several years now, haven't had any issues with my password database security.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I also use Roboform but not the "Everywhere" version. If I am afraid that my passwords are going to be stolen I don't want my passwords on a server someplace in the cloud where I would never know if it was compromised. At least if my PC is stolen then I know I have a problem and will handle it. The downside is that I cannot use Roboform on my phone so what I do is save the passowrd file as a PDF file which is also password protected and I copy it to my phone.

Now that I gave you my solution the url The Best Password Managers | PCMag.com will give you a good overview of most of the apps

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Now that I gave you my solution the url The Best Password Managers | PCMag.com will give you a good overview of most of the apps
That was pretty informative and I looked at several of their manager reviews. Right now I'm leaning towards LastPass and getting the premium version. I figure for $12, even if it doesn't work out in the end, it's not much to spend for being able to do a good trial run of all the features I need.

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I believe that Roboform is the only password manager that does not require you to store your login information on the web. If someone finds a manager that does not store information on the web then I would appreciate hearing about it.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I believe that Roboform is the only password manager that does not require you to store your login information on the web. If someone finds a manager that does not store information on the web then I would appreciate hearing about it.

Local-Only
Decryption

All sensitive data is encrypted and decrypted locally before syncing with LastPass. Your key never leaves your device, and is never shared with LastPass. Your data stays accessible only to you.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...lastpass.com%2Fhow-it-works%2F&token=3hKpEaLH

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Local-Only
Decryption

All sensitive data is encrypted and decrypted locally before syncing with LastPass. Your key never leaves your device, and is never shared with LastPass. Your data stays accessible only to you.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...lastpass.com%2Fhow-it-works%2F&token=nxMnu1X9

I understand what you are saying but all of the information is stored on a server which I will not know if it has been cracked and while LastPass does not have my key that does not mean that the information is 100% safe. If the hacker was smart enough to break into the server and get the file then the person is probably smart enough to crack the key.

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I understand what you are saying but all of the information is stored on a server which I will not know if it has been cracked and while LastPass does not have my key that does not mean that the information is 100% safe. If the hacker was smart enough to break into the server and get the file then the person is probably smart enough to crack the key.

This vid( skip to 52:42) will cover just about everything about Lastpass. There is some great info here, no matter which password manager you use.

Security Now 256: LastPass Security - YouTube

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Holy carp [sic] that was some cool info! :eek:

I think it sold me on LastPass without even using it myself (though I do plan to try the free stuff a bit before buying). All the encryption functions sounded pretty awesome. *insert I heard you like encryption memes here* Cool show too. I used to listen to Leo LaPorte's weekend radio show all the time when he was on SiriusXM. Sucks that they killed the channel he was on. :(

neil154

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
This vid( skip to 52:42) will cover just about everything about Lastpass. There is some great info here, no matter which password manager you use.

Security Now 256: LastPass Security - YouTube

Thanks, that was very interesting and I have to think about it but it sounds like my concerns about cracking are not founded but of course if my LastPass password is not strong (my fault) then there is still a problem.

I will probably give this a try after thing more about it.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Been using Last Pass for about a day now. You can download the mobile apps and get a 14 day trial to use with the standard free service without needing a premium account, which is probably the biggest selling point of the premium service (but there is more, like credit monitoring). I haven't actually changed any passwords yet, but the pw generator is pretty easy to use and everything is nicely streamlined and easy to figure out.

The only issue I've had has been with an app login on my phone. When I go to my banking app, it'll login perfectly. If I logout and want to log back in later, the auto fill pop-up box doesn't show to give me the option. There is a work around I've found that would work on about every problematic app, but otherwise I have to exit the Last Pass app and restart it to get the pop-up again. I haven't been able to look too in depth at the issue yet, so I'm not ready to call it a full blown bug. They do acknowledge some problems due to oddball logins with some apps and pages, but there's at least two or three ways to get the info to login. It just won't be the simple one click or auto login. Not really a deal breaker for me even if I don't figure out the app login issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49