Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: Will you still be using Microsoft Windows XP after April 8, 2014?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 50.00%
  • No

3 50.00%
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,347 Global Posts
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Default Re: Will you still be using Microsoft Windows XP after April 8, 2014?

Yes, I plan to still use it (Windows XP Pro). It's not as if it will be instantly exploited after April 8. Security patches are just one layer of security, there are many other ways to protect the system. The biggest I swear by is a blocking hosts file (ex. MVPS), blocks known malicious stuff on the Internet (as well as ads). It alone has kept any kind of malware from even getting to my system while browsing the far reaches of the net. Should something get through I have a good anti virus program (virus definitions updated every few hours), as well as always running as a non-admin (limits any kind of infection to only that user, not entire system). I also use a more secure browser (Firefox) than IE.

Somewhere down the road I'll consider switching to either Win 7 or a Linux variant.

Nope. Been using 7 on my self-built desktop since the early days of the OS, my laptop runs 10.9.2 (it's a Mac!). At work we have a few slow-movers but overall the entire place is on 7.

*Edit - Yes - -
    --------------------
    I just restarted and connected my old XP Home desktop after 2-3 months. I may follow some of @Synycalwon's tips, but I am not too worried about getting an infection as I moved or copied most to a W7 ThinkPad. Anti-viruses just updated fine, but that may not mean much.

I seem to prefer listening to music on this old pc. Ripped cd's sound better. It's either the 7200 hdd speed or the customised Realtek AC'97 sound.

Via my Note 3 on AC.
    Last edited by Madd54; 04-12-2014 at 02:59 AM.
    I know nothing. Caution: I can edit and delete for no reason.

I wish I still had an XP system that I could trade in and get the $100 off. I usually give my equipment away others in the extended family.
    Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

I've been off XP for quite a while now. The contract I'm working on now, they have about 1400 computers that need to be upgraded to Windows 7. From what I heard, Microsoft was initially going to charge people $1500 or so to support Windows XP machines after the date, but this article states that they had a change of heart. Microsoft slashes Windows XP custom support prices just days before axing public patches - Computerworld