Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Default Starbucks siding with PMA

Anyone else feel that PMA just began the first steps to winnin this war of wireless charging with Starbucks as a member? Starbucks is a major global player and I feel it can change the outcome of the war. I feel pretty sad considering I just bought a bunch of Qi pads for $5 from ATT and really like the Qi technology.

Default Re: Starbucks siding with PMA

Quote Originally Posted by boo516 View Post
    Anyone else feel that PMA just began the first steps to winnin this war of wireless charging with Starbucks as a member? Starbucks is a major global player and I feel it can change the outcome of the war. I feel pretty sad considering I just bought a bunch of Qi pads for $5 from ATT and really like the Qi technology.
    I'm kind of confused with these wireless charging standards. It says Samsung is part of PMA but aren't the Samsung phones with wireless charging backs Qi compatible (S4, S5, Note 3)? Aren't the Nexus 5 and LG G3 also Qi? What phone uses PMA?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    I'm kind of confused with these wireless charging standards. It says Samsung is part of PMA but aren't the Samsung phones with wireless charging backs Qi compatible (S4, S5, Note 3)? Aren't the Nexus 5 and LG G3 also Qi? What phone uses PMA?
    I actually noticed that too. Many sources are having to correct their articles today because they know Samsung is on PMA and in the original article said that the S5 came with a replaceable PMA Cover, then having to go back and correct their articles to say that it's actually a Qi cover. I don't think any phone has built in PMA right now.

I actually noticed that too. Many sources are having to correct their articles today because they know Samsung is on PMA and in the original article said that the S5 came with a replaceable PMA Cover, then having to go back and correct their articles to say that it's actually a Qi cover. I don't think any phone has built in PMA right now.
    Only makes sense if Starbucks got advanced information that the iPhone 6 comes standard with PMA charging. If the new iPhone is still wireless charger agnostic or goes Qi then PMA is dead. Perhaps they could use the wiring in the table to change out the pads to Qi standard pads. Also if McDonalds goes Qi that would be a blow ot PMA

McDonald’s is testing wireless charging tables in Europe
    McDonald’s is testing wireless charging tables in Europe - SlashGear
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dss2000 View Post
    Only makes sense if Starbucks got advanced information that the iPhone 6 comes standard with PMA charging. If the new iPhone is still wireless charger agnostic or goes Qi then PMA is dead. Perhaps they could use the wiring in the table to change out the pads to Qi standard pads. Also if McDonalds goes Qi that would be a blow ot PMA

McDonald’s is testing wireless charging tables in Europe
    McDonald’s is testing wireless charging tables in Europe - SlashGear
    Would you say McDonald's is more influential than Starbucks?

Thing is (

Would you say McDonald's is more influential than Starbucks?

Thing is (
    Hard to say, there are more of them but people don't sit in them for long periods of time as much as Starbucks. Although recently they've been trying to be more like Starbucks and have more of a sitting area to encourage people to stay longer.