Found my password app solution finally

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
Let me start by saying I love password keeper apps! I have dozens of accounts and using pen and paper to remember them all really sucks especially if you use multiple devices.

For the longest time I've been using a combination of keepass and keepassdroid and using drop box to store the database so I could access it anywhere. The one and only drawback was that when you make changes to it on android keepassdroid, you have to manually upload the changes to dropbox because keepassdroid accesses the local copy stored in android/com.dropbox/misc and not directly to the cloud copy.

To resolve this one downside I was tempted to go with Last pass, except for 2 reasons. Lastpass was successfully hacked, and keepass is open source and therefore the code can be scrutinized for problems. And it's free.

Found the perfect solution! I've recently been using another app called keepass2android. It's based off of the keepassdroid code, but it directly edits the cloud copy so any changes are done directly on the cloud removing the step of having to upload. It also uses the more recent .kdbx extension of v.2x of keepass. Keepassdroid needs to run the 1.x version on your android and PC to work. And it works and syncs flawlessly with Google Drive, something keepassdroid wouldn't do.

It's definitely worth a try. It's free as well but I felt obliged to donate to the developer for giving me what I've been looking for for years now.

I almost forgot, keepass2android also has a built in keyboard that protects against keylogging password sniffers

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm using Last Pass, so I'm wondering where you heard about them being hacked. I tried to search and all I came up with so far was from an article in 2011 about a possible data breach that a) wasn't confirmed, b) was only a small batch, if anything was stolen, and c) only would be a concern if you had a weak master password.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/227268/lastpass_ceo_exclusive_interview.html

I watched a video not long ago where they went over the Last Pass security measures and it was... beefy to say the least. Basically you could hand the NSA your data "blob" and they wouldn't be able to hack it.

I'm confident in their measures, but I'm also interested in what you've heard on the matter or if you have any news links.

xchange

Banned
Dec 15, 2013
Visit site
I read that article too, but lastpass themselves definitely confirmed that a breach took place and that some data that could possibly contain passwords was taken.

I agree with you that it wasn't a severe breach, and that lastpass claims to have taken measures. Yet it still happened. Simply because lastpass is a high priority popular target I feel safer using keepass on google drive. Even if hackers were to get into some Drive accounts, there's billions of them and the odds there will be targeting of mine for a pw database are far less

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. An argument could be made either way on the popularity standpoint of which to use, but I think it mostly comes down to what works best for you. I just need to stop being lazy and fork over the money for a paid account so I can have their mobile app access. That was the only downside I saw to LP, but the price is good for the other benefits and helps support them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret