Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock

Question I'm due for an upgrade - thoughts welcome!

Hi, folks,

I'm currently sporting a Galaxy S3 on Verizon and have managed to hang on to my unlimited data plan. After 2 dutiful years, I've officially been released to month-to-month bliss. Ironically though, I have no idea what I want to do now! It's been a while since I last upgraded my phone (August 2012 I think) so I'm by no means an old hat at this.

Here's where I'm getting stuck. Ideally, I would like to purchase a phone (perhaps the new Nexus 6, if there is such a thing on the horizon?) from the Google play store. However, I understand that the chances of Verizon supporting the new Nexus phone are exceedingly low, so then I have to start thinking about changing carriers. But that option doesn't sound terribly attractive to me either - I really like Verizon's coverage and speeds, and I have an unlimited data plan! But then I think, I'm actually a fairly heavy data user -- I average at least 5 GB/month-- and if Verizon is going to be throttling me since I'm considered a heavy data user, maybe that makes hanging on to my unlimited data plan less important in the grand scheme of things.

My next possible route would be to hang on for the Moto X+1 (or X2?) and stick with Verizon. But, then I go back to my Nexus pipe dreams, and I'll think about how amazing it would be to just swap out my SIM card if I want to take the phone to a different network, or travel abroad. I guess I could conceivably do that with the Moto X+1, but I'd still have to switch to a GSM carrier in order for that dream to be reality. This actually seems like a potentially interesting possibility, although I'm still a little loathe to switch carriers.

Finally, I feel like there are deals galore to be had on pre-paid plans or MVNOs, but I've always been a contract guy, so going the pre-paid route for some reason doesn't feel like a safe bet. I'm sure that's short sighted.

This is kind of like a ping pong game, isn't it? Anyway, that's my dilemma. I'm sure there are other who frequent these forums who have gone through this thought process before, and I'd really value any input, suggestions, or comments.

Thanks in advance, fellow ACers!

Default Re: I'm due for an upgrade - thoughts welcome!

Have you looked into AT&T? Their coverage should be pretty good, with comparable speeds. And you'd have the advantage of being able to swap out a SIM card easily.

Stay with verizon unlimited data!! There is more to Verizon's throttling than that pesky 4.7 Gb gray area! You have to be on a congested site as well etc. and Verizon's phones come unlocked so that's good if you travel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    10,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 5.0.1

If you want a Nexus-like experience while sticking with Verizon, the successor to the Moto X should be out soon
    If the Nexus is a must or just something you really want, I'd agree with B. Diddy and look into the coverage of other carriers in your area. If you're lucky, T-Mo might be good in your area and you can stick with unlimited

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.4
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan

Current Devices:
    Galaxy Note 4
    rMBP 13"
    iPad 2
    B. Diddy likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

ROM
    Stock

Thanks for the replies, everyone. I agree that getting the successor to the Moto X and sticking with Verizon is a compelling option. Will have to see what it's like when it's finally released. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and would love to have a Nexus phone to complement it, but waiting until late October / early November is a long wait!

I saw recently that Verizon will be closing out one of the loopholes for keeping an unlimited data plan. Will there be any options remaining to keep unlimited data after that happens? If I am forced to leave my unlimited plan, I suppose one upside (albeit it a minor one) will be that I can Wifi tether my phone with no additional cost, which is another functionality that I'm looking at through this upgrade.

Posted via a mobile device, of course

Global Posts
    26,521 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I went from Sprint unlimited using about 5+ GB of data to AT&T 4 GB plan. Changing some of my habits was a key part in making this happen, and I have trimmed down my use so much, that I am heavily considering going to 2 GB.

Key things I changed:
    -Turn off Play auto updates. I wait until I get home on WiFi.
    -In the beginning, I allowed myself 3 YouTube videos per week on cell data (not hard as I don't watch a lot of them)
    -Tasker helped a lot by allowing me to set a time to automatically turn on WiFi.

Those are just some of the things I did. I have a Nexus 5 and I love it. Having next to no bloatware from a carrier is much less frustrating.

What could not be changed, must be endured - New Spring, by Robert Jordan

Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace
    Mobile Nations Sister Forums: iMore/Connectedly/Windows Central/Crackberry

Quote Originally Posted by jerethi View Post
    Thanks for the replies, everyone. I agree that getting the successor to the Moto X and sticking with Verizon is a compelling option. Will have to see what it's like when it's finally released. I have a Nexus 7 (2013) and would love to have a Nexus phone to complement it, but waiting until late October / early November is a long wait!

I saw recently that Verizon will be closing out one of the loopholes for keeping an unlimited data plan. Will there be any options remaining to keep unlimited data after that happens? If I am forced to leave my unlimited plan, I suppose one upside (albeit it a minor one) will be that I can Wifi tether my phone with no additional cost, which is another functionality that I'm looking at through this upgrade.

Posted via a mobile device, of course
    To be clear, Verizon has not announced any elimination of unlimited data. The issue is whether or not you can use a loophole to upgrade and keep unlimited data. It doesn't go into affect until 8/25,anything before then is speculation. Verizon hasn't officially announced anything yet.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    299 Global Posts

How about the Motorola Droid Turbo coming out later this fall. Some pretty impressive specs.
    Sent using my Moto Droid Turbo BN 64G
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by kmf1 View Post
    How about the Motorola Droid Turbo coming out later this fall. Some pretty impressive specs.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks who switched carriers from Verizon. I really like Verizon's coverage, but would be willing to switch if I could put together the right plan and, of course, provided the phone is wrote it.

Posted via Android Central App

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm particularly interested in hearing from folks who switched carriers from Verizon. I really like Verizon's coverage, but would be willing to switch if I could put together the right plan and, of course, provided the phone is wrote it.

Switching from Verizon, page plus is getting 4g sim cards coming up so you'll be able to get a Verizon phone and put a SIM in it for the page plus rates. The only catch is you'll have to pay full price for a phone.

I took my Nexus 5 to T-Mobile and pay $30 a month for 5 GB of data and 100 minutes/texts.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by StLouisMan2 View Post
    I took my Nexus 5 to T-Mobile and pay $30 a month for 5 GB of data and 100 minutes/texts.
    Did you switch from Verizon? How has your experience been?

Did you switch from Verizon? How has your experience been?
    No, I'm sorry. I did not switch from Verizon Wireless. However, my experience with T-Mobile has been great. They are a very data oriented wireless company and do not focus so heavily on the phone call end of the packages. They have a promotion going right now whereby bringing a friend to T-Mobile earns each of you free data for a year! So if you decide to sign with them, please let me know or use my name so I can get the year of free data too.

You might want to take a look at this

http://www.androidauthority.com/free...r-king-515562/
    http://www.androidauthority.com/free...r-king-515562/