Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By B. Diddy
  • 1 Post By sting7k
  • 1 Post By Carrtman
  • 1 Post By A895
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is Facebook good for society?

People who can’t start a meal until they’ve snapped the perfect picture and shared it on Facebook or Instagram, with hashtags, of course. People who walk slower than your grandma in a crowded mall or train station because they’re engaged in some mobile game or have their eyes glued on to some soap opera on their tiny screens. And then there are those who feel the incessant need to check if anyone “liked” their recent status update, or consistently have twenty group chats to reply to. There are so many of such cases these days, I’m sure you know what I’m driving at.

I’m talking about people who are addicted to their smartphones. Apparently some of them get so engrossed in their phones that they can’t walk or board the subway without running into other people.
    What would your response be if your partner was one of these extreme smartphone addicts?
    LG-isai

Default Re: Is Facebook good for society?

Quote Originally Posted by dctokyo View Post
    What would your response be if your partner was one of these extreme smartphone addicts?
    Welcome to the club

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like anything that is beneficial or benign in moderation but has addiction potential (like alcohol, food, sex), I'd have to say that Facebook and other social media platforms have their good sides and their bad sides. It's great to connect to people I haven't seen for ages, and I feel that I've actually become decent friends with people I've never met in person. But there are a lot of bad sides as well, as your quote describes.
    UJ95x and jmagid51 like this.

It is awful, mashes everyone an over sharer. Makes people put their private lives online, and makes then that much open to various companies, and government agencies to monitor them. #TINFOILCLAN

Posted via the Android Central App

Global Posts
    3,490 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Moderation is the key to life.
    jmagid51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    It is awful, mashes everyone an over sharer. Makes people put their private lives online, and makes then that much open to various companies, and government agencies to monitor them. #TINFOILCLAN

#UNDERGROUNDBUNKERCLUB
    and yep, the NSA is watching you

Posted via Android Central App with my Samsung Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by codyoehl View Post
    #UNDERGROUNDBUNKERCLUB
    and yep, the NSA is watching you

No lie, people who do put their whole loves online, do compromise their own privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by A895 View Post
    No lie, people who do put their whole loves online, do compromise their own privacy.

Even if you are concious about what you do, the NSA still knows all...

Quote Originally Posted by codyoehl View Post
    Even if you are concious about what you do, the NSA still knows all...

Only if you aren't careful. Even then, you have to be doing something illegal to show up on their radar.

It's nice to see that society and even technology is in an continuous process of evolution but it's a little bad to see that little kids are so close to there smartphones and even when they are outside they play games and try to beat each others scores...i remember when i was little i didn't had a phone and we play basketball, with rock, hide'n'seek, etc. My first smartphone was at age 20.
    But don't get me wrong i like smartphones but sometimes we are to attached to them.

Global Posts
    261 Global Posts

I ******* hate it. To me it 's an assault to the privacy of people and something that's very dangerous especially for younger people, kids.

People are putting their lives online not knowing how FB is going to use their dasta, because deleting something doesn't mean it's gone from their servers ..

A smartphone to me is something I need to keep in check with other people, listen to mp3s and do some webbrowsing or skype with friends. it's not something I'll need or want 24/7 activity on. Sometimes it's really nice to relax offline and spend a day out in the beautiful national enviroments with your gf while not caring some modern over the top device with you
    Thanked by:
    dctokyo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Carrtman View Post
    I ******* hate it. To me it 's an assault to the privacy of people and something that's very dangerous especially for younger people, kids.

People are putting their lives online not knowing how FB is going to use their dasta, because deleting something doesn't mean it's gone from their servers ..

A smartphone to me is something I need to keep in check with other people, listen to mp3s and do some webbrowsing or skype with friends. it's not something I'll need or want 24/7 activity on. Sometimes it's really nice to relax offline and spend a day out in the beautiful national enviroments with your gf while not caring some modern over the top device with you

I don't use a smartphone for living, I still have plain old Video Games for that. For me smartphones are used for productivity as tools. They are for communication and for enhancing workflows. If they don't do that, then their is no use in one. I also don't use any messaging apps or services or any social networks, so I don't need to be checking my phone every two minutes.
    Thanked by:
    dctokyo likes this.