Thoughts on the new Surface 3 ?

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Just read the new ms blog and I must admit, this thing is very tempting the big questiomark is how good will the Atom cpu be ? A 2 in 1 device for 750 $ (including the keyboard and 128 gb of storage) sounds really really nice and it for sure is cheaper than the Pro 3.

Introducing Surface 3

although I'm a bit worried about only 4 gigabyte of RAM but other than that I really like it lot.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife has a Surface Pro 3 with an i5 CPU, and although it's a good lightweight laptop alternative (with decent processor power), here are some problems I've observed:

1. It wants to be a tablet, but it's still relatively heavy and bulky.
2. It can get pretty darned hot (without a whole lot of obvious active processes), and sometimes the fan sounds like it's about to explode.
3. The Modern interface is still not that useful. My wife uses it exclusively in desktop mode, so the touchscreen doesn't add anything.
4. Patches patches patches. It just makes me love my Chromebook more and more.

Not sure if the new Surface 3 improves on any of this, but considering that it will be cheaper and have relatively less powerful hardware, the main thing I would guess is that it won't get quite as hot.

Carrtman

Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Oh thanks didn't know that, thought about premium quality because the price tag id's really high.

Can you decide at which point the fan starters?

As far as patches tell her to turn off auto update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Can you decide at which point the fan starters?

Not really. When it starts, the device is already pretty warm, so I don't think I'd want to delay it.

As far as patches tell her to turn off auto update.

Auto update is actually off--I always like to see what's updating before it updates (considering some of the recent Windows update derps that came out of Microsoft recently). Not quite sure why it heats up like that, although she usually has a number of programs running (like Chrome, Thunderbird, Office, and Adobe Reader).

JimGarn

Nov 22, 2015
Visit site
I have the Surface 3. I use it primarily for surfing, email, some streaming (NFL games) and general use. My only issue is with the battery, I never get more than 4-5 hours of use, although it says you will get about 10 hours. I even sent my original Surface 3 back on warranty over the issue. The replacement is not much better. I keep checking my apps to see what is running in the background and nothing significant, Facebook being the biggest user.

The Surface 3 meets my needs, and I recommend it....Like it better than my Chrome Pixel FWTW