Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question Fire/Ems/Public safety folks?

Ok folks is there any of you on here and if so do you use your phone for anything at work? If so what apps do you use? What kind of case do you use ect ect......

Could be a good thread....
    Bill
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

anyone????
    Bill

My brother is. He just uses his iPhone 4. And he has only a bumper equivalent case on it.

He doesn't take it to him on calls, just leaves it in his locker I think.

Global Posts
    812 Global Posts

firefighter and use my droid x everyday for my job.
    May the droid be with you !
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Hey folks come on what do you use? What kind of phone you have?Cases?
    Bill

This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it's close: my step father works in emergency medicine (ER) and has a Blackberry Storm w/Verizon case, and I'm studying to also practice medicine and have an Epic 4G w/Sedio Active X case.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

yup sure is i would think there was more folks on here than i got responses..
    Bill

To be honest some may perceive your enthusiasm as being a bit pushy, there aren't many that respond in threads around here anyways so it'll be tough to get responses.

To answer your question, I'm not in the field but I could assume the iTriage app maybe helpful, lots of medical stuff there.
    May the little green robot be with you!

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Most of the first responders I know would never want a smartphone as a primary phone, too fragile and there are actually consequences if the phone locks up or reboots unexpectedly. They tend to look into rugged phones like a G'zOne - something that's more guaranteed to work under all circumstances and that they don't need to worry about in the rain.

As a secondary phone or handheld computer it can be a great asset. Drug information in apps like ePocrates, firefighting calculators, and EMT cheatsheets are all great additions - assuming you've got the time to look stuff up...
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Hmm i know alot that use them around here. They use dumb phones for a work phone but there personal ones are smart phones.....
    Bill

My brother has an iPhone 3G (for now) and he keeps an otterbox on it 95% of the time. He did develop a nice crack on it from dropping it (without the case)... He's a firefighter.
    I know a lot of friends are using either iPhones or Droid 2's right now.. No idea what they're running on it... They're EMT's.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Anyone else?
    Bill

Global Posts
    25 Global Posts

Hey everyone, Im a Police Officer in a major metropalitan city. I have the HTC Inspire 4G with a Speck case and a Zagg heavy duty screen protector on it. I love my phone, and it comes in handy when converting drug weights etc and looking up penal code. And I have simple regular phone in case I have to call a complainant etc.

ROM
    Com Rom 2.1

10 year Medic I use the following on my device for work purposes.....

Buisness Calendar to keep track of the busy schedule betweeen a Medic fulltime, Firefighting, Critical care, and All those training classes

Epocrates to look up medical related problems that I may not have heard of. They also have a good dosage/rate calculator.

System Protocols on SD card using PDF file

Internet of course. I use this alot on calls for overdose where I have the pill without the bottle. You can ID a pill very quickly now.

EMS Charts.....Our service uses this program to enter call reports. My phone will do it although its painful. Use it mostly on Standby's when I cannot get back to the base.

Thats about it, I will put google body on there whenever they get it fixed lol.

Good to see all the fellow EMs, Fire, Police peeps on android central!!!

Using a Samsung Fascinate. This phone was painful before I rooted, flashed a ROM, and placed a theme. Much faster and doesnt drain the battery as much.

No case, I just use a 511 phone type case on my duty belt. Anti glare screen protector and thats it.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Anyone else? This is good stuff....
    Bill

I work fire and rescue. I use Epocrates religiously... also im not sure of the name, but its pretty much a call logger. logs dispatch time, en route time, on scene.... you get my drift. you can also input vital stats and notes. pretty handy when the toughbook is out of reach... as for cases, I had a Blackberry Curve 2 in an Otterbox and it survived a 900 degree burn building in an outside pocket, and a 30 foot drop into a river 2 feet deep. So naturally when I purchased my Mesmerize, I got an Otterbox. Rumor has it a guy on my shift had his iPhone ran over by an engine in an otterbox and it survived.

We are also trying to develop an app with our local ODEMSA protocols...

ROM
    Stock for now

Just seen this thread. Looks promising!

Fire & rescue / EMT-B --- Use my evo all the time. I only have two apps for the fire service. ERG app and a pump calculator. Only time I don't have it is during a structure fire and I never use it on scene just to be talking to non emergency personnel.

Keep mine covered with an Otterbox.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Anyone else??? Lets keep it going folks...
    Bill

Whats everyones certification level in the fire/ems spectrum?

me-FF1, FF2, EVOC 3, ADFR, Rural Water Supply, LP Gas Em.

ems-Driver and attendant.
    -DC
    Motorola Droid MAXX 4.4
    Yes, Farmville is a real town, not just a game on Facebook....

Global Posts
    10,579 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

The nclex apps are spendy, but I see myself buying one to help me study for it. RN student.

I have an HTC Inspire 4G. And I love it! The extra screen real estate is worth the size!

Apps on my device are:

EMS Notes - I highly recommend this for fast entry of information to then have on your PCR. I've used it several times now, and it works great. We still use paper PCRs, but I am thinking about integrating this data into an ePCR program. It even allows photos to be taken (careful!).

Epocrates - Another "can't live without it" app. I've used Epocrates since PalmOS years ago.

My Asthma Log - This is personal, but a good program.

MyProfiles - Allows me to set multiple profiles, such as Work - Inside, Work - Outside, Sleep Mode, Home, Car.

Scanner Radio - Sometimes, you just want to listen in on other agencies!

Handcent SMS - I like it better than the default SMS app on the device.

And yes, I have the assortment of social apps... not exactly work related, though.

And certs: EMT-B, HazMAT Tech, Microbiologist
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Anyone else? Anyone use the COMMANDO? I love it its a great phone...
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DCooper323 View Post
    I work fire and rescue. I use Epocrates religiously... also im not sure of the name, but its pretty much a call logger. logs dispatch time, en route time, on scene.... you get my drift. you can also input vital stats and notes. pretty handy when the toughbook is out of reach... as for cases, I had a Blackberry Curve 2 in an Otterbox and it survived a 900 degree burn building in an outside pocket, and a 30 foot drop into a river 2 feet deep. So naturally when I purchased my Mesmerize, I got an Otterbox. Rumor has it a guy on my shift had his iPhone ran over by an engine in an otterbox and it survived.
    I know otterbox is strong cause I ran over a blackberry curve on a segway and not a scratch but a 900 degree burn and run over by an engine!?!? That's amazing. I don't doubt it though. Those things are tough

posted from Tapatalk via HTC EVO 4G

Global Posts
    192 Global Posts

EMT-B here... Mainly use epocrates and webmd when I want to look up a drug or condition I'm not aware of.

Tapatalkin' from my Alien, Atrix'd out DROID X2!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast