recommend an android TV device

justin22885

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
im looking for recommendations for a tv connected android device, one that can play things like netflix, hulu, spotify, pandora, but im also looking for something that can play games fairly decently, at least N64 and PS1 emulators, wii and gamecube if at all possible so i can eliminate the need for having these consoles all connected to the TV (i have limited space).. my budget is about $75 and so far i believe the best ive found at this price is the M8 devices with the 2ghz quad core A9 processors, 8-core mali 450 GPU, and 2 gigs of RAM

im kind of curious though, looking at reviews for these devices, the UIs are absolutely awful, looks like some pre-school crap.. can these be upgraded to something that actually looks like its intended to be used by an adult?

ColbyJvonBrown

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Nexus Player? Even though its a little above your price right now. But if I'm correct the price was lowered at Walmart stores.

Posted via the Android Central App.
Boost Mobile Moto G (4.4.4)
Or The Sprint LG G3 (5.0.1)

justin22885

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
nexus player is listed at about $75 with free shipping at walmart stores.. so its within my price range.. is that a 32 or 64 bit cpu?.. its a 1.8 intel atom, my concern with that is the intel atom is an x86 type or processor and many android apps are ARM specific.. the M8 devices have quad core A9 processors (2.0ghz) and 2 gigs of ram.. since most android apps are ARM based, and 32 bit in nature the M8 will probably have better performance with an extra gig of RAM

how does the PowerVR Series 6 compare to an 8-core mali-450 GPU?.. given the mali 450 only has 14.5 gflops and open GL 2.0, with the power vr series 6 has minimum of 38.4, max of 230, with openGL 3.1, the powervr blows the mali out of the water, and the 64-bit CPU is probably capable of more performance than the ARM A9, though whether apps take advantage of multi core 64 bit technology i dont know.. i guess it all depends on whether a better GPU or more RAM will better suit me

then theres the fact that every ASUS made product i have ever owned has failed miserably, monitors, motherboards, tablets.. i gave ASUS multiple chances and they have ALL broken with poor customer service

justin22885

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
anyone have any experience with the nexus player?.. can it be easily tweaked to install third party applications? i see no point in wasting money on a device i cant even use the way i want to

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463