07-04-2011 05:00 PM
- I don't think it's wrong because that foodstamp might be to help out if they have kids and are having a hard time.
But on the other end, if they are struggling, smartphone should be the least of their issues.
But again, they might have a smartphone but they might not have a laptop for anything and that smartphone is their way to the internet to look for jobs or something.01-23-2011 01:14 AM
- It's also possible that the phone was a gift to the person, or it might have been loaned to them (as an example, I have three extra cell phones, all relatively new, and I have been known to loan them from time to time to friends or family).
A better question might be why we should feel we have the right to judge, especially since we don't know the facts.01-23-2011 01:19 AM
- Hey guys I happened to stumble across this and this is a good question I have a Evo and food stamps I like to say that there is alot of factors but if your the type of person that is greedy and is using there food stamps for other uses other then getting food is bull**** and selling them is just wrong people who actually need them should have them and not people like that.
But in my situation I had to sell of my laptop to pay for rent and my little baby's needs so at will I would hand over or sell anything that is materials for my family to survive I also don't own a house phone to cut down on more bills and a friend helped me get my phone by adding a line and we had got it on sale for $161 and I also had a few phone laying around and traded them in for store credit so I ended up paying $48 in cash and the rest was from trading in old beat up phones.
I have alot to pay for and my only thing I have and use sooooo much is my phone / laptop Evo lol its perfect and I don't get a million dollars in food stamps but it gets everything I need for my son and anything he wants food wise i got denied quite a few time and finally got it and I'm am so grateful for $10 lol it helps you know but people that waist them and don't need them its bull**** sometimes when you see that type of things but we can't pick and choose who gets it you know.
but its so funny my mother said to me when your at the place to get the food stamps shes like its so funny how you see these people applying for food stamps and you see them pulling up in BMW's and big suv's lol but sorry for the big ol story but it is a great question on how some people use or abuse food stamps
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk01-24-2011 01:57 PM
- but its so funny my mother said to me when your at the place to get the food stamps shes like its so funny how you see these people applying for food stamps and you see them pulling up in BMW's and big suv's lol but sorry for the big ol story but it is a great question on how some people use or abuse food stamps
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
You have good points. You are a smart person trading in a lot of beat up phones for your Evo. Lol reminds me of me trying to save money by taking a lot of old stuff into a store and end up saving like $30. Well $30 is $30.01-24-2011 02:06 PM
- Like PrittyBoy's situation, sold their laptop and what not and using his phone as pretty much his primary portal to the web, that is acceptable but like others have said, when your driving a BMW with food stamps, that is unacceptable. A phone is one thing but a $40K+ car is a lot more then $30/month for data plan.
What I also see a lot and get mad are panhandlers who are just asking for change, and at the end of the day, they drive off in a Lexus. There is one near where I live and he goes and drives off in a Lexus. I flip out on him and yell out, this dude drives a Lexus and calling him out. It's not fair that he is doing it and driving a Lexus and there are actually people that need that to survive on.01-24-2011 03:51 PM
- Ya man I would really get mad like I had a friend that used drugs so his mom stoped giving him money to support his bad habit but he would be driving a infinity G35 so the dude would ask everyone he sees and chills at a store corner and say could you spear some change I'm trying to get a cheese Burger at MC Donald's its like a block from where he's standing asking everyone and anyone but he stoped using and he still asks dude get a damn job I know that people want money to support there habits but I know he is able to use his head to pay for his habit for drugs and money to drive in his fancy car its crazy what people will do these days :-/
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk01-24-2011 04:39 PM
- 02-17-2011 09:31 AMLike 1
- Wrong, misplaced priorities all of you sound so judgemental. Let me give you a story of a 50+ year old single mom who worked since she was 16, never took a dime of help. Her husband "doesn't want to any more" and leaves, a few years later she looses her very good job of 21 years. She only gets 6 months of unemployment because it was too early for the extensions people receive now. Sold most of her jewlery, stock and savings went to 0. Lives in a modest house. Borrowed from peter to pay paul, until peter closed the credit line. Finally broke the pride, applied and received food stamps. Oh, BTW - she ownes a droid thats under contract and required for the small paying job she has and BTW - she has a BMW. She owes more than it is worth so theres no way to trade, believe it or not - they insure like andy other sedan and because it has no "value" it did not count against her. BTW - it's me. Just one of you call me out in the parking lot and you may get your pompus ears rang. You don't know the story so shut up - yes there are those who milk the system but in general food is not the one - they want the cash. Saw where one lady was reported, a congressmans wife, she was buying for someone else who could not go - hope that egg stayed on the reporters face for a year. I went from comfortable middle class to working poor. I hope you never have to learn for yourselves.06-19-2011 03:09 PMLike 1
- The system is there for people who need it, and those people should recieve the help. People go through hard times.
Where I get annoyed, is where you see people get the help, and refuse to better themselves, and suck off the system.
Case in point- I deliver to to some local food pantries and such, and I've seen people who come in there every opportunity. Not bad in itself, but I've watched a couple of the same people go out to the "finance anyone" dealerships, and get vehicles way outside their pay grade. I'm sorry, but you cannot afford a $600/month car payment if you are on food stamps.
its one thing if the payment was there before the hard times, and you've done everything to help yourself. its a whole nother thing if you use teh system to pay your way so you can go buy things you cannot afford.
For the record, my family has had to get food stamps at one time. We were both laid off, exhausted our savings while trying to find jobs, and eventually had to take work outside my career path, retrain, and lose $40k/year in pay. My cars were paid for, but I still have a family to feed. The nice stuff with value was sold. However, that also taught me better control of my money. Now, I can afford the car payment again. However, I don't. All 3 of our vehicles may be older, but they are paid for. Our home is modest, but nice, and well within a small budget. If it happens again, it'll hurt, but it will be a much easier experience.
Our 2 smart phones are our only real splurge. However, I need mine for work, so its a wash, and I get compensated for it.06-29-2011 07:04 PM
- 07-04-2011 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD