Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Default Cloud printing

Why isn't there an android app that allows cloud printing of any file on your phone?

does anyone know if one is coming?

and I see the print button on gmail, not on documents though? Does anyone else have this problem?

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

It's coming:
    Will Android support Google Cloud Print?

We’ll have more information to share about which Google products will use Google Cloud Print in the coming months.
    FAQ - Google Cloud Print - Google Code
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Have you used it? Does the print button appear on the google documents mobile site for you? It does not for me.

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawkA4 View Post
    Have you used it?
    I haven't, if I can get it on my phone I don't need to print it out

Really, all of my documents are in Docbook which I then convert to HTML (and PDF and PostScript for those who DO want to print) so I typically am fine just reading in the browser. For spreadsheets, the static data is useless as a printout since they're all about the realtime calculation and dynamic values. The only thing I print out these days are boarding passes, and even that's becoming unnecessary.

Still, the idea of "print anywhere" is a nice one even if I don't really need it.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Drop the Bag

Global Posts
    2,478 Global Posts

Ya. I keep everything on my phone. At work I get mad when someone prints something and hands it to me. I tell then to take it back and email it to me.

I do needed to print some things out though.
    HKM
    Banned

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Cloud Printing :P now that thread tittle is misleading.

Errr here I thought I found the holly grill of my issue. lol ATM I have RMA with NewEgg I have paid postage and full refund RMA, which is due tomorrow and have 2 printers here with dry ink :P as last time I used it was like 2008 or something. lol I was hopping cloud printing would be something where I submit doc and they print it and send it to me via mail :P maybe for a fee which I am welling to pay but not go to OfficeMax, ect. BTW I know what cloud printing is was just fooling myself as I have request another paid postage from UPS.

I tried it yesterday and worked fine. You have to enable it in Google chrome from the desktop where the printer is. You get the print command from opening the email from gmail in a browser on your phone...worked perfectly!!
    HKM
    Banned

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Thats how SkyNET was born and raised in to power... Oops I mean Google, is it just me or is red flag going in few of you folk's head about now on which data Google has access from you and cross linking it more extensively then they already do. NSA/CIA :O

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

Sorry, I'm just not interesting enough to spy on

Realistically, what more data is Google getting? The ability to send us ads via printer, maybe, but mine is off most of the time and I choose not to use this service. I suppose if third-party apps get it Google could, in theory, snoop on your printer jobs - but good luck keeping that secret. Remember, Google isn't just a $200B multinational corporation, it's also nearly 25,000 individuals like you and me and they'd all have to keep their mouth shut if they were implementing something illegal. Introducing code isn't some sneaky accounting measure, you need to silence ALL of the developers on the team to keep it secret and many top developers have a whole closet full of tinfoil hats and would be itching to dish to Wikileaks if Google violated their own rules.

Out of curiosity, is your logo related to FreeBSD at all? Love the licensing (I hate GPL) and the network stack, but I like Linux a bit better as an OS.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    HKM
    Banned

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

Thats our beloved Beastie not the green R2D2 AOSP logo :P I myself is a pro *nix as I migrated from UNIX long ago I use to use BSD/AIX/Solaris. You can't compare Linux to Unix if you understand but yes Linux went user friendly approach. Where we still follow old where one must learn first before they can get it working. Not trying to start UNIX vs Linux war here but if you know basic it makes no diff same apply for all distro as I been using Slackware for ages.

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

I agree, Linux is more top-down while BSD is more bottom-up. I'd consider a switch to BSD on the server side, but from a desktop standpoint my biggest qualm is that driver support is where Linux was a few years ago (I actually have my touchscreen working under Linux, for example).

Bringing things back on topic slightly, this is where cloud printing can help. It provides an abstraction layer so your new whiz-bang printer can be sitting on a Linux or (*gasp*) Windows system and you can still print from your phone or BSD box by using the standardized Google interface while drivers are being ported.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)