The LG V10: The most unheralded flagship of 2015?

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi peeps!

I have been a long-time cruiser of the mobile nation forums. I have tried a large amount of the android phones, as well as BlackBerry phones. I currently have the LG V10....I am coming from a Moto X pure edition. I love unique phones, so the Moto X Pure was a huge draw for me. It was a beautiful phone...but drove me crazy in many ways. I can not believe how well built the V10 is...and what an amazing phone it is. I am completely blown away by how little chatter there is about the V10. Is it just me? Its like this phone just floated under the Samsung bridge unnoticed! You cannot beat a phone built this well, with the promotions that LG has out there. I live in a very rural area (the closest verizon store is 3 hours away) and I have not experienced ANY heating of the phone while searching for service...which is a LOT out here! Battery life is great, not to mention a free spare battery for all the camping! I may be in left field with this one...but I am shocked the V10 has not had more attention! What do you guys think?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the hold out is because of how similarly spec'd the V10 is to the G4, which is still an awesome performing phone. From a marketing standpoint, the only real differences are the ticker display and manual movie controls on the V10. There's a few hardware differences, but nothing to get too excited over when looking at the cost. I was considering both phones, but at the time I could get the G4 for better than free. By combining 3 different promotions through Verizon and LG, I'm basically getting paid about $50 from the deal. Compared to the price of the V10 at the time, it's a no brainer.

I have heard from others that say the V10 seems to be very well built. So over time I could see more people turning to it for durability. Of course by then, other phones will be out and more competition in the market. I think over all the V10 is just suffering from being too little, too soon with the G4 still being sold at a much lower cost.

norbl

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree LG just isn't able to market as well as others. The changes from one iteration of a phone to the next leave very little to get excited about. However, with good marketing excitement can be created. I personally liked the way LG distinguished themselves with having buttons on the back, but with the LG G5 they are going back to having the volume buttons on the side. I have a G4 but will I think the G5 is worth paying full price for an upgrade? Also from what I've read, LG resale prices are much less than Samsung and iPhone.

Frankly I'd love to buy a new phone twice a year if I could get excited about the new models. So far that hasn't happened. I've tried the 6P but sent it back.

Now if a manufacturer would guarantee an OS update within 45 days of Google releasing it, I think their sales would be huge.

westiewanderer

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I hear you guys. Marketing needs to be better for a forward thinking company like LG. This is an impressive phone with amazing build-quality.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
It has a poor battery endurance rating according to GSM arena. My friend with LG G4 says the battery life on his is terrible. His is always near dead when I'm around him. I guess you can thank LG for making the industry think we need higher than 1080P on screens under 6" 👌 👍

hylex

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
The v10 is all set to become a cult classic, thanks to the dac on it. I am waiting for a price drop to pick it up.

The_Guest_Who

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Coming to the V10 from a Windows Phone (and Symbian and Maemo before that) , I'm all too familiar with poor marketing! :p

When I swapped out phones in early January, I looked at the current phone landscape, both unlocked and from AT&T - with AT&T Next, I can take a bit of the sting out of buying an non-mainstream device (since I can trade back after 12 or 18 payments, it's like a guaranteed resale amount). The Lumia 950 was a non-starter, I didn't want to throw down $350+ up-front on a Nexus 5X or 6P, and iPhones were out of the question. My wife got burned hard by her Galaxy S6 edge - bought the 32GB, only 4 weeks later the S6 edge+ comes out, and she's had to replace her phone twice already due to soft-bricking and random resets (no rooting, only Play store apps, no user-land funny business)... her current one is slow and lagging fiercely (2-3 seconds from unlock to home) even after factory resetting. So, Samsungs were out for me.

I decided on the V10, primarily for the fingerprint scanner, the manual video controls, and the promo (free 2nd battery, 64GB microSD and charging cradle). For all of the noise about the V10's poor battery life, it's negated by the removable battery. MicroSD means I don't have the trouble my wife has with storage (base 64GB for apps, another 64GB on the SD for media), and the 808 SOC works just fine for my tasks, since I'm not a heavy gamer.

The V10 really is a sleeper hit. The G5's modularity looks more gimmicky than useful, and the build of the V10 is marvelous. My wife is thinking of paying off her S6 edge early just to get rid of it, and get a V10 as a replacement.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I think the hold out is because of how similarly spec'd the V10 is to the G4, which is still an awesome performing phone. From a marketing standpoint, the only real differences are the ticker display and manual movie controls on the V10. There's a few hardware differences, but nothing to get too excited over when looking at the cost. I was considering both phones, but at the time I could get the G4 for better than free. By combining 3 different promotions through Verizon and LG, I'm basically getting paid about $50 from the deal. Compared to the price of the V10 at the time, it's a no brainer.

I have heard from others that say the V10 seems to be very well built. So over time I could see more people turning to it for durability. Of course by then, other phones will be out and more competition in the market. I think over all the V10 is just suffering from being too little, too soon with the G4 still being sold at a much lower cost.

Agree with the above comments. The V10 is basically a parallel move from the G4. The V10 has some newer features, but the same processor which is and important attribute that many of use differentiate phones. The DAC is a big differentiator. I like how solid the V10 feels, and also the 5.7" display. LG is on to something. I hope they stick with the "V" line. It is an awesome phone.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the above comments. The V10 is basically a parallel move from the G4. The V10 has some newer features, but the same processor which is and important attribute that many of use differentiate phones. The DAC is a big differentiator. I like how solid the V10 feels, and also the 5.7" display. LG is on to something. I hope they stick with the "V" line. It is an awesome phone.

I hope LG will make an updated version of the V10 in the future. I have warmed up to the G5 but I'd rather get my hands in a V10 if I had the opportunity.

Posted via the Android Central App

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
I had LG Optimus G Pro for 2 years and never saw anything that much better to upgrade to, until V10. It had all the features and as good as Optimus G pro was, V10 is that much better.

I wish it had a 6" screen versus 5.7", I think it would work well with the higher resolution but it's almost good enough.

it's a very solid buy today.

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
LG doesn't market their phones enough, in Malaysia here I am one of the few that uses LG phones and I love them! Been using LG G3 and then now G4, they are much better than the Samsung phones I used before but people just keep getting Samsungs and ignore the rest :( so sad

RemovableBatteryFTW

Aug 16, 2016
Visit site
The LG V10 in my eyes is one of the best flagships to date. Yes I would still rate it higher than the S7/Note 7 because of the IR, FM, Removable battery etc. The LG V10 was a higher cost alternative to the G4. The G4 IS one of the best android phones ever made because of all the features - it offered a complete product to make everyone happy. Both the G4 and V10 had their strengths and weaknesses when compared with each other, however, the lower cost and more widely available G4 won in the end. LG need to go back to the G4/V10 and make a true successor by merging the benefits of both. Instead it seems they are not interested in using successful products to base future products. LG are more interested in using failed products and taking those further. It seems corporations get dumb and then dumber so don't hold your breath with the V20 or G Flex 3. We need a true successor to the G4 with the extra features of the V10, that would be the killer phone for the future.

Anyway, the V10 ended up in a niche market but pretty much everyone that owned one knew it was an awesome phone. I still prefer the G4 over it though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87