Sony Xperia Z3 or Z5?

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
So I've been left with no choice but to switch from my beloved Windows Phone (Lumia 920) to Android due to lack of developer support and dying OS. I've been researching pretty heavily lately to find the best Android phone for my needs. My biggest requirements are: battery life (would like at least 3000mah, my friends with Android complain of battery life), at least 64GB onboard store OR SD card slot, and if no Qi support, I need a micro USB port for an aftermarket Qi adapter. The phone also has to run on AT&T and the screen has to be 5.5" or smaller (my friend's Note 5 doesn't fit in my pocket!)

So after a painstaking search, I've come down to either the Sony Xperia Z3 or Z5. The Z3 is rather old (2014), but it has better battery life than the Z5 according to several reviews (and the Z5's battery is physically smaller). Will either of these phones get Android 6.0? Will the quad core on the Z3 be too laggy compared to the octo on the Z5? Any other phone suggestions are appreciated! (except LG G4, my friend has one and says its the worst, battery hogging phone ever).

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
According to Sony's website, it will be updated to 6.0 at some point for both. As for the difference between the two, can't help you with that.

In the same position with you on wp.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
My Z3 had overheating issues. Run the GPS for 30 minutes, get to my destination and try to film some video of my destination at 4k... no dice. It also had a lot of bloatware too, more than the LGV10 I am on now that replaced it. There are better phones available now... IMHO of course. My comments are limited to the Z3V, I have no first hand experience with the Z5.

it did have a great battery-stamina mode though.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
I would take the s6 active over either of those sony models... But thats h
Just my preference

Posted via the Android Central App

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
I had to give up on the GS6 Active idea because the buttons get pushed in your pocket all day and I'm not a fan of having to have a screen unlock code. I look at my phone too often to have to type in a passcode. The Z5 has bad battery life according to reviews. The Z3 has good battery life, but even worse overheating issues. The search for an acceptable phone continues....

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I too came to the realization that no one makes a phone that meets my criteria... You have to stack up the pros and cons and pick your poison. I too was looking for a water-rain resistant phone, and just gave up. They just don't make them. So plan-B for me has been aftermarket cases, otterbox / lifeproof etc. I once was a fan of physical buttons but now I see the benefit of touch-screen buttons and definitely prefer that. For a while I had a problem with my iPhone waking up from accidental presses... so IMHO your concern with the 6 active could be a valid one, depending on how you stow and carry the device.

Dan TheMan86

Jan 12, 2016
Visit site
Waterproofing for me is a plus, but not a requirement for me. Battery life and at least 64gb are the one things I guess I really care about. So many of my friends have Android devices that are always dying and they're always complaining about it. Maybe I should get the Nexus 6p, but I won't be able to get a Qi adapter since they don't make them for USB C. ugh!!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma