Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ditch Smartphones?

Have any of you ever considered getting rid of your smart phone and its expensive data plan and going back to the simple life with a cheap prepaid clamshell or feature phone?

Hell no! I'm a complete addict, the wirhdrawals would be worse than those from narcotics.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo
    ......posted from something made by Apple!

No way Jose...a non smartphone? those words are not in my vocabulary.

ROM
    CM7 Nightly 148

Absolutely not. I went from a pre paid clamshell phone to a Droid Incredible this past December and I'm never going back.

No way. Love having a smart phone.
    Droid RAZR MAXX/Xoom/4510 LTE MiFi
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dchawk81 View Post
    Have any of you ever considered getting rid of your smart phone and its expensive data plan and going back to the simple life with a cheap prepaid clamshell or feature phone?
    Maybe not prepaid, but 'Yes'. Once you've had it all for long enough, you're able to turn around and appreciate that the basics are the only truly important things about a device that fits in your pocket. The rest of it is infotainment, at best, and at a steep price for what you actually receive in "value".
    Thanked by:
    dinod 
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadroid View Post
    Maybe not prepaid, but 'Yes'. Once you've had it all for long enough, you're able to turn around and appreciate that the basics are the only truly important things about a device that fits in your pocket. The rest of it is infotainment, at best, and at a steep price for what you actually receive in "value".
    That's my line of thought as well. We pay a lot of money for these devices but do we really need them? Hard to say.

There's a lot of stuff I think I can't live without but once I rid myself of it I don't actually miss it.

I was fed up with Palm / HP and I seriously considered going back to the basics. Then I immediately went out and got an Evo for me and an EVO Shift for my wife. LOL Yeah, not going back to the flip phone years ago just yet.

ROM
    CM9,Tablet Mode,Nova

If you think you'll be happier you just aren't using your smartphone as a smartphone and probably would be happier to go back. Nothing wrong with it, either.

Personally, streaming video is a so-so feature but streaming music beats the heck out of maintaining an MP3 library or OTA radio. GPS and mapping functionality alone is worth the money. Plus a portable hotspot came in useful today at a conference where the WiFi blocked my VPN (web only access). Not to mention instant access to Google searches on the fly.

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't use her Blackberry for anything but email. The idea of gaming and streaming video from our home webcams as a monitor may still win her over, but she can probably get by with a 4.3" tablet instead of a phone. Then again, she's got me to look stuff up for her.
    Galaxy Nexus (VZW)
    Motorola Droid X (WiFi)/Motorola Droid 2 Global (VZW)
    Motorola 9505A (Iridium)/HP Zeen (WiFi)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Actually, I do use my smart phone as a smart phone...and then some.

But I also thought for years that I needed my cable TV because I watched it so much. I got rid of that about 5 years ago and don't miss it at all.

ROM
    Stock

Get both! Smartphone on a cheap plan.

go to virgin mobile or flash your android to boost! FTW!
    Motorola Bag Phone--> Motorola Brick Phone--> Motorola Thick Flip Phone-->Motorola Star Tac--->Nokia 5510--->Nextel i90-->Treo600-->treo650-->treo700p--->treo755p--->treo800w--->EPIC 4G-->Samsung Infuse-->Galaxy Nexus GSM

I would literally just die without my smartphone!! And the crazy thing is I've gotten so use to having one when I meet other people who just have a regular phone I be looking at them like Uhh,,Seriously? CTFU
    Palm Pre,Blackberry,HTC Evo 4g, HTC Evo LTE, Samsung Galaxy 2.10 Tablet, Samsung Galaxy S4

ROM
    Stock

Let's put it this way. I was more afraid of loosing root and froyo than bricking when I had flashed a bad rom this week. I am totally addicted.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.
    "Give it time. You will be assimilated, resistance is futile. You are only here to serve the green R2D2. posted by HKM"

If someone helps you find an answer, please Thank them with the button in their post.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I tell ya, I see all these unlocked & globally compatible flip phones on eBay for practically no money and I'm tempted to break the "new blingy phone - new contract" cycle. Especially when I consider that my phone isn't even global since it's CDMA and quad band flips are cheap as chips (which I will end up buying anyway if/when I go to a GSM only area and know I'll need to make or receive calls).
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

Actually, I do use my smart phone as a smart phone...and then some.

But I also thought for years that I needed my cable TV because I watched it so much. I got rid of that about 5 years ago and don't miss it at all.
    Some of it is a 'generational' thing, I think. If you've been around the block several times since pda-phones (meaning productivity phones) originally came around, all the other fluff 'content' that's being pushed by carriers (for their fee) gets discounted in importance. If you're a younger consumer-oriented user, not having much history with money or its real value, makes Google's timing into the market almost perfect for them (El Goog). Just keep a level head about what you can live with and without. Any monkey can hype what they fling.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I'm 29. Where does that put me?

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Well as much as I can appreciate the basic phone, however, for the past 6+ years I have been using smartphones and actually I cannot go back because I use every feature as much as possible and I use it for work. Since I am on a family plan, my work pays for my portion of the bill which is really nice.

HTH,
    Charlie
    Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated

No way!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts

I'm 29. Where does that put me?
    Not sure. Maybe a little more cerebral than the average 29-year old?

Global Posts
    1,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    Various

Sure, save me some money. I could also find something else to mess with.

Nope, I don't own a pc and this is as good as it gets. It's like a portable pc for me.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Default Re: Ditch Smartphones?

I wonder if anyone's opinions have changed since Verizon implemented their new data tiers and Virgin USA announced an increase in their fees.

As long as I'm grandfathered in for now I don't mind, but that may change in the future
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

That's about how I feel.

I wonder what our limit is as a nation though. When do we collectively stand up and let the carriers know we're not going to pay such huge fees anymore? Do we ever grow a spine?

ROM
    Stock

That's about how I feel.

I wonder what our limit is as a nation though. When do we collectively stand up and let the carriers know we're not going to pay such huge fees anymore? Do we ever grow a spine?
    How do you propose "we" do that?

The only power we really have is to vote with our dollars. If they started charging 1000 a month, maybe lots of people would cancel and find alternatives.

Do you have another way?
    Motorola Bag Phone--> Motorola Brick Phone--> Motorola Thick Flip Phone-->Motorola Star Tac--->Nokia 5510--->Nextel i90-->Treo600-->treo650-->treo700p--->treo755p--->treo800w--->EPIC 4G-->Samsung Infuse-->Galaxy Nexus GSM
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast