Ditch Smartphones?

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Have any of you ever considered getting rid of your smart phone and its expensive data plan and going back to the simple life with a cheap prepaid clamshell or feature phone?

verwon

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Hell no! I'm a complete addict, the wirhdrawals would be worse than those from narcotics.

Beamed down to the earthlings from my eVo

backbeat

Banned
Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Have any of you ever considered getting rid of your smart phone and its expensive data plan and going back to the simple life with a cheap prepaid clamshell or feature phone?

Maybe not prepaid, but 'Yes'. Once you've had it all for long enough, you're able to turn around and appreciate that the basics are the only truly important things about a device that fits in your pocket. The rest of it is infotainment, at best, and at a steep price for what you actually receive in "value".

Reactions: dinod

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Maybe not prepaid, but 'Yes'. Once you've had it all for long enough, you're able to turn around and appreciate that the basics are the only truly important things about a device that fits in your pocket. The rest of it is infotainment, at best, and at a steep price for what you actually receive in "value".
That's my line of thought as well. We pay a lot of money for these devices but do we really need them? Hard to say.

There's a lot of stuff I think I can't live without but once I rid myself of it I don't actually miss it.

FreudSlipped

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I was fed up with Palm / HP and I seriously considered going back to the basics. Then I immediately went out and got an Evo for me and an EVO Shift for my wife. LOL Yeah, not going back to the flip phone years ago just yet.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
If you think you'll be happier you just aren't using your smartphone as a smartphone and probably would be happier to go back. Nothing wrong with it, either.

Personally, streaming video is a so-so feature but streaming music beats the heck out of maintaining an MP3 library or OTA radio. GPS and mapping functionality alone is worth the money. Plus a portable hotspot came in useful today at a conference where the WiFi blocked my VPN (web only access). Not to mention instant access to Google searches on the fly.

My wife, on the other hand, doesn't use her Blackberry for anything but email. The idea of gaming and streaming video from our home webcams as a monitor may still win her over, but she can probably get by with a 4.3" tablet instead of a phone. Then again, she's got me to look stuff up for her. ;)

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I do use my smart phone as a smart phone...and then some.

But I also thought for years that I needed my cable TV because I watched it so much. I got rid of that about 5 years ago and don't miss it at all.

sasha

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I would literally just die without my smartphone!! And the crazy thing is I've gotten so use to having one when I meet other people who just have a regular phone I be looking at them like Uhh,,Seriously? CTFU

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Let's put it this way. I was more afraid of loosing root and froyo than bricking when I had flashed a bad rom this week. I am totally addicted.

Sent from my Froyo Fascinate using Tapatalk.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
I tell ya, I see all these unlocked & globally compatible flip phones on eBay for practically no money and I'm tempted to break the "new blingy phone - new contract" cycle. Especially when I consider that my phone isn't even global since it's CDMA and quad band flips are cheap as chips (which I will end up buying anyway if/when I go to a GSM only area and know I'll need to make or receive calls).

backbeat

Banned
Jan 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I do use my smart phone as a smart phone...and then some.

But I also thought for years that I needed my cable TV because I watched it so much. I got rid of that about 5 years ago and don't miss it at all.

Some of it is a 'generational' thing, I think. If you've been around the block several times since pda-phones (meaning productivity phones) originally came around, all the other fluff 'content' that's being pushed by carriers (for their fee) gets discounted in importance. If you're a younger consumer-oriented user, not having much history with money or its real value, makes Google's timing into the market almost perfect for them (El Goog). Just keep a level head about what you can live with and without. Any monkey can hype what they fling.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well as much as I can appreciate the basic phone, however, for the past 6+ years I have been using smartphones and actually I cannot go back because I use every feature as much as possible and I use it for work. Since I am on a family plan, my work pays for my portion of the bill which is really nice.

HTH,
Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze