1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is Japanese Earthquake good or bad for us?

According to the latest news, this earthquake in Japan was diagnosed as 9 magnitude, it was a natural disaster unprecedented in a thousand of years that equals to thirty times of WenChuan earthquake. Transportation and other departments in Japan now are already in collapse, to avoid after shocks, many industies are cease from producing.
    Here I only express views on my own behalf:
    1. I am in the electronics industry in Japan after the earthquake many electronic-related industries have been discontinued, according to the present observation, electronic components and other related electronic products, in the short term there may be a small rise, but prices are not necessarily a good thing, they might face of inflation.
    2. After the earthquake, trades between Japan and many other countries couldn't be processed normally, issues remained by this situation will harm the economic interests of many countries.
    3. Finally, I think as a capitalist country with power resource in the world, the earthquake is a seriouse blow to Japan. Most of the time, we should be fair to human nature, not because of how much the Japanese used to do the things I'm sorry our China, that are not to blame in their generation who are now, they are now this generation, I'm sorry we did not do things thing of the past have been punished! Now we have a clear understanding of the good.
    I think, the Japanese earthquake is bad for humans, for humans, it is worth considering, environmental degradation, should not we be food for thought! ! !

Global Posts
    10,403 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Bad.....the price of gas may stabilize because demand is down, but man....I could not look at a few dollars less at the pump being better than their misfortune.
    Retired Ambassador

I would find it very hard to see a silver lining. It sucks!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

Quote Originally Posted by sun2d View Post
    ... I think, the Japanese earthquake is bad for humans, for humans, it is worth considering, environmental degradation, should not we be food for thought! ! !
    o hey engrish

Yes, the Japanese earthquake is bad... is anyone really gonna argue otherwise?

How the hell could you argue this is good for anyone? Maybe its good for end-of-the-world Christians who use this stuff for fuel in their apocalypse fire?

This is an idiotic thread and if I didn't think free speach was important, I would say it should be deleted.

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclair.DI18

The good that can come out of this is if better practices are put in place in the future. Better tsunami detection, better regulation of nuclear power industry. Other than that we can only hope that the people who have survived will be ok.

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

Quote Originally Posted by ricnmar View Post
    The good that can come out of this is if better practices are put in place in the future. Better tsunami detection, better regulation of nuclear power industry. Other than that we can only hope that the people who have survived will be ok.
    What sort of better practices might you expect? While the death toll has been no doubt catastrophic, it could have been (and really, quite surprisingly wasn't) many magnitudes worse. The nuclear reactors haven't melted down, the containment shells haven't been breached, and any radioactive release has been very marginal. I'd use this as an example of the safety of the Japanese nuclear reactors, and of nuclear power in general. If they can survive a 9.0 earthquake and a subsequent catastrophic level tsunami, they can probably survive just about anything.

Global Posts
    10,403 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by ricnmar View Post
    Indeed, better practices will be at least looked at. Unfortunate to have to view them under these circumstances though, very unfortunate.

Actually, this is a legitimate question to ask at a time like this. An event happened in Japan that has produced world changing reactions. Fortunes will be lost and fortunes will be made. Some people will change what they do and governments will change (hopefully) how they prepare.

Example: A segment on the news last week covered a company making protective suits for working near radiation. The business has donated a number of suits to Japan and is adding workers to produce more product. Before this event, his customer base was small contracts with government and military entities. The suits sell for 1500 a piece. I'll bet that no one in the nuclear energy industry is ignoring his marketing brochure right now.

Newton's Law of Motion applies.

Don't forget to help - Japanese Red Cross and other agencies linked below:

Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    ROM
    Eclair.DI18

Quote Originally Posted by jrz5024 View Post
    What sort of better practices might you expect? While the death toll has been no doubt catastrophic, it could have been (and really, quite surprisingly wasn't) many magnitudes worse. The nuclear reactors haven't melted down, the containment shells haven't been breached, and any radioactive release has been very marginal. I'd use this as an example of the safety of the Japanese nuclear reactors, and of nuclear power in general. If they can survive a 9.0 earthquake and a subsequent catastrophic level tsunami, they can probably survive just about anything.
    umm, well, this was on CNN.com today:
    "The operator of the nuclear reactors and power plants on the northern coast of Japan has a documented history of errors and cover-ups and, say anti-nuclear activists, a pattern of hiding the truth when things go wrong."

True the plant survived the quake and tsunami, but the practices of the company are going to be cause of trouble for a long time to come. Chances are pretty good that we will never hear about much of it it either.

Regarding the tsunami warning system: it could be improved to prevent fewer deaths from a similar event. No one is going to say it worked as it should have when so many thousands died.