The state of Android smartphones

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I currently own a Nexus 6P and every time a new flagship device is announced, I read carefully about it, since I am interested in having the latest and the greatest. This year we had some great devices coming out, like the Samsung S7, S7 Edge and now the Note 7, ot the HTC 10, the OnePlus 3 and others I forget to mention. All these devices are very interested, but somehow I cannot press the purchase button for any of these phones.
The Samsung phones look really phantastic, especially the Note 7. The HTC 10 is my favorite phone in terms of design and build quality.
All of these devices have something in common, that makes it difficult for me to buy them: They use custom software, on top of Android.

Even if you look at the HTC 10 or the OnePlus, which are close to stock Android, there are differences that matter. To get the Google Android as intended by Google, we have only one option: The Nexus devices. This is really sad, especially after looking at all these great hardware designs of HTC, Samsung and others.
If I get any of these devices, then I would have to download the Google keyboard and the Google Now launcher. This is the only way (without rooting where possible), to get a close to native Google experience.
So currently I am stuck with the Nexus 6P, a great device per se. I just wished that all manufacturers offered a vanilla Android version of their hardware too.
I am currently on the latest beta of Android N, so if I were to buy a different device, I would go "back" to Marshmallow. Despite having a better hardware, my software experience would be worse. At the end of the day, software is more important than hardware, so I will be staying the Nexus 6P until the new Nexus comes out.
I really hope that all OEMs start changing their stance and start offering timely updates and less customizations (or customizations that can be fully uninstalled and installed via the Google Play store).

dexterouz

Oct 5, 2015
Visit site
Actually, you might recollect that a few years ago Samsung, HTC and I think Sony too launched Google edition flagship phone but I think they did not get that much reponse from buyers. Also, there could be more development burden for different version and for different carrier operators.

But, yes, I could love to have a Google edition Samsung phone with Samsung's own mods on audio and camera.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
I remember HTC doing that but not Samsung. HTC has a marketing problem, so it is not a surprise that they didn't have any success.

Posted via the Android Central App

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
It's true that stock Android is a much better experience - at least, in my opinion. Who knows - maybe more manufacturers will go that route if the demand is high enough.

Posted via the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech