How often do you upgrade your phone?

BlackZeppelin

Apr 20, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. How often does everyone upgrade their phone? My first touch screen phone was a Nokia Lumia 520. It eventually stopped functioning so I got a Samsung Galaxy S5 which I am still using. It is still running perfectly so I am not tempted to replace it. I will consider the Note 8 next year which will make it 3 yrs before I upgrade.

Personally, I consider it a complete waste of money to replace a perfectly good phone every year or 2 just to get the latest model. In my case, if I do replace at 3 yrs and my S5 is still running well, I won't be supported with the latest operating system or security patches. And I am not prepared to root my phone. I am just not that confident to do that.

The other thing too is that each new model of phone usually has only incremental upgrades of features. Which I understand. You can't make each new phone a major upgrade every time, it is just not technically possible. So in my case, by leaving my next phone to at least 3 yrs, I look forward to having a big improvement of features from my last phone. I personally think that 3 yrs is minimum before you get significantly improved upgrades.

I will go from Snapdragon 801 to 821/830, from 2MP front camera to 5/8MP, from f2. 4 aperture to better than f1. 9, from a swipe fingerprint reader to a much improved press and hold reader plus iris scanner (assuming another Samsung) and on and on. So this is another reason why for me, 3 yrs is a minimum.

What about everyone else?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Over the last 3 years I've purchased a new smartphone about every 6-9 months. Not that expensive since I usually buy a Nexus about a year after release and sell one of my old phones. Currently switching between Nexus 6 and 5x as daily driver. I'll probably get the 6p in a few months when price drops and keep the 5x or 6 as a backup.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
It depends. The earliest I've replaced a phone was 6 months. The longest without replacing a phone was 3 years.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Often. For me it isn't a waste. I sell my old phones. Someone gets a phone new to them at a discount and I get to recycle and money towards my next phone. Win win.

Sam_Gs7

May 27, 2016
Visit site
:cool: My rule is : I won't change phone until either "Lost it or Dropped" and as result
it become useless. My 1st phone was a Samsung Galaxy..GT-17500 in 2009

One time I got ready to leave the Parking-building and Stepped out from the
car..To check a tire. I put the phone on the Car roof and left. I realised
missed the phone 5-Blocks away that happened in Mid 2013

In July 2013 had a Sam-Gs4: I lost it when got drunk in a Pub. I went to washroom and
checked a msge. Put the phone beside the Sink and left. Do am I careless user-Hehe!

The next-1 was SGs5: This one Started to slowdown and didn't get anymore Updates.
So I traded this year-2016 for a Mint SGs7. It works great..Keep it Up SAM-Gs7

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
So far, I haven't had any phone for more than a year, but each phone has had a major upgrade in one way or another to justify it. This year into next will be interesting. For now, I can see myself with this phone for the rest of the year possibly.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Great thread, OP! I'd say I usually upgrade every year and a half (or every 14 months... It varies). I try to stick to last year's flagship or look for a phone that's $0 so I'll be economizing in some way.

I don't see the need to have the latest and greatest, but I may keep an eye on specific flagships and if I really like them, I'll wait for them to drop in price and then consider grabbing them.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Every two years. But this year will be the first time that I won't upgrade. I'm not really into the pixels so I'm holding on to my Nexus 6 awhile longer.

jlarkins08

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
In the past I would upgrade every year but now, due to better spending on my part, I upgrade when I feel the need to do so..
So far, I have been having the same device for over 2 years! The longest I have ever held on to a phone which is the HTC M8.. I cant get rid of it and I still compare this phone to every high-end release out there! The most recent devices doesn't seem like a major upgrade IMO and the price is way higher than it used to be!

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
I plan on upgrading to the V200. It's going to be just my 2nd "smartphone." I've had a G3 for nearly 3 years now and it's doing me well. My previous phones that I used throughout middle school and high school (dumb phones) I usually upgraded every 2 or 3 years as well just because the phones were dirt cheap and got (very) boring after 2 or 3 years (they couldn't do anything except my last phone before this one which had a music player built in). Plus I was on my dad's plan so I didn't have to work about paying anything!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084