Advertisements in Android apps

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Do the new admob advertisements in the android apps bother anyone besides me? They seem to be much more invasive (much like the new advertisements on youtube videos) and are starting to get on my nerves.

I actually stopped using my droid for a few months and used a Palm Pre instead, because I thought the UI looked much better and there were fewer advertisements in the apps. I'm giving my Droid another go, but I seriously get sick of the banners in the apps.

Granted, some you can pay for to get rid of the advertisements, but others only have a free version with ads. I'm just sick of having advertisements thrown in my face everywhere I go. I quit watching television about 14 years ago because of commercials and stopped listening to regular radio and bought a subscription to XM to get away from them.

I accept the fact that I'm much more anal about advertisements than other people, but one of the things I always liked about gmail was that the advertisements were much less invasive than Yahoo Mail or Hotmail. It almost seems like Google has thrown that completely out the window lately.

Thoughts?

urban ali

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The way I see it is they have got to be paid for their time somehow... if you are not willing to shell out a few bucks to pay for the app put up with the adds ! I don't really notice the adds to be honest ... even on gmail !

quic

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
They put their time and money into this for you. and you can't put up with an ad or 2? seriously? thats ridiculous. You go ahead and Conceptualize and app, Then design it graphically, then program it to operate as you'd like. then release it for free for thousands of people to use and don't recieve a thank you or anything then come back and let us know what you think of the ads.

Grow up.

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
They put their time and money into this for you. and you can't put up with an ad or 2? seriously? thats ridiculous. You go ahead and Conceptualize and app, Then design it graphically, then program it to operate as you'd like. then release it for free for thousands of people to use and don't recieve a thank you or anything then come back and let us know what you think of the ads.

Grow up.

It's nice to see that you can read. Or do you just like being an ignorant troll?

If you reread my post above, you'll see a little part about:

Granted, some you can pay for to get rid of the advertisements, but others only have a free version with ads.

Seriously. Learn to read or go troll somewhere else.

I pay for XM radio so I don't have to listen to advertisements. So I'm obviously not cheap. However, there are dozens of apps that are "free", yet offer no pay version to get rid of the ads.

Oh, I also HAVE participated in software design and have done programming, which is probably more than you can say.

Grow up.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
After years and years of web use, I have basically trained myself to ignore most ads. Of course, some are hard to ignore. I suppose my point of view is this: if that app is valuable to me, I'm willing to put up with ads (or pay for a version that has none, though I often pay for an app even if the free is good enough, if only to reward the developer.) If it offers little value, or there is a competing app that has better ads, no ads, or a paid version, I'll stop using the app with ads that bug me and either use something else or go without.

acidsamuraix

Nov 20, 2009
Visit site
Coming from someone who is writing an app in the works, I plan on making an ad-supported and a paid non-ad version. I personally don't mind ads, and i do believe that it's a good idea to make a for-pay non-ad version of a lot of apps, but it also takes time and means that the dev has to manage two seperate baselines potentially.

Ads are simply a way for people to get paid for their work that their handing out for free, so it doesn't quite bother me too much.

The ads also usually take up unused space, so it's not like you're losing out on screen real estate. If the ads are actually hindering use of the product, then it's poor design.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site

It's nice to see that you can read. Or do you just like being an ignorant troll?

Seriously. Learn to read or go troll somewhere else.

Grow up.

If you guys can't stay on topic & need to resort to personal attacks, this is not the forum for you. Now keep it on topic or I'll lock this thread and start issuing warnings. I'm starting to see way too much of this lately, and this is not tolerated in this forum. Please read the rules in my signature, and comply accordingly. If you feel like you're being attacked, or if someone else is violating forum rules, please use the report post feature.

Thanks,

Cory

P.S. - Moving to "General Chat" forum.

Last edited:

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Personally, my favorite way an app handles ads is Handcent, no sign of ads anywhere except for when in the settings.. :)

Actually, that's exactly why I haven't updated to the newest version of Handcent. I read the reviews and people were saying that the ads are lagging the program and causing a little instability. It seems like all the newest version added was ad support; no new features.

Love the program and couldn't do without it on my droid, though. I'd buy it if he had a pay version.

pops.comp

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually, that's exactly why I haven't updated to the newest version of Handcent. I read the reviews and people were saying that the ads are lagging the program and causing a little instability. It seems like all the newest version added was ad support; no new features.

Love the program and couldn't do without it on my droid, though. I'd buy it if he had a pay version.

True, I hesitated to get the latest update, but I had do delete and reload handcent because of a glitch with the notifications..but in all honestly the only lag I've noticed is when I do go into settings..and its only a brief lag while the ad is loading

gravage

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
If you're rooted you can download an app called "adfree". It's a filtering app to remove some ads. Oh... and grow up.

LOL. You grow up!

I haven't take the "Root" plunge. I like to keep my phone stock for when the updates come out, though it doesn't seem like we'll see 2.1 any time soon. I had my G1 rooted and it was no big deal, but I just haven't really wanted to with my Droid.

The adfree app blocks ads in the apps or just in the browser?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
The only time I have found the ads intrusive thus far was in the case of handcent. It seems to be slowing down the app pretty intensively at times. I'm hoping an update will fix that issue soon.

R

Roy Aguilera

Let's keep the insults, name calling and flaming off this forum guys.
Thanks

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
adfree blocks ads in apps, not just browser. Look them up in market and read about it. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it DOES cut down on ads.

And, DA6... Grow up (joking, joking, joking). it WAS getting a little ugly there, thanks for the modding.

R

Roy Aguilera

Understood. I was not trying to point anyone out or be a jerk. Just trying to keep things cool around here. Lately there has been a lot of arguing going on around the forums and we are trying to avoid it. Thanks guys.

Carry on.

sfrrr

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
it's not the free, ad-supported apps. it is the admob ads that somehow snuck onto my Streak and display alll the time, even when i am using a paid app. how do i get rid of those ads? is there anything i can do without root?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz