How safe is google chrome?

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Seems like the best place to ask this. How secure of a browser is chrome? i know i stopped using internet explorer because it's security was like swiss cheese, and i switched to firefox. i have no qualms with FF, but i tried chrome and like it quite a bit. i used noscript and avg on mozilla, and was just wondering if there were similar programs available for chrome, or if they are not even necessary

baycruisers

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I use Chrome and love its speed. If you use something like Norton 360 or a similar program to block nasty web sites, it should be as safe as any other browser. Google updates it very frequently, so they seem to be responsive to issues.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I've never received any "may be a harmful" warnings from FireFox or Safari, but have with Chrome, which I think is a pretty good sign. If I had to guess, I would say it's up there in security with MS IE. I use MS Essentials (free) and AVG 9.0 (full version).

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
At last year's Pwn2Own competition, Chrome was the only browser (out of IE, Safari and Firefox) not to be exploited. While that doesn't necessarily mean that it's completely secure, I think that Google seems to have a good design, so far.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
At last year's Pwn2Own competition, Chrome was the only browser (out of IE, Safari and Firefox) not to be exploited. While that doesn't necessarily mean that it's completely secure, I think that Google seems to have a good design, so far.

Agreed. I remember that now that you mentioned it.

tbdaly

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
Chrome is awesome. It's simple and quick (when it wants to be...) Mozilla has too much crap in it and bogs it down.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Chrome is great. Sandboxed app pools etc. Chrome is lean and mean. I think as long as google doesn't offer add-in support it will continue to be the safest browser(on windows)

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
This year's Pwn2Own just finished. This year they added the iPhone's Mobile Safari to the list of tested browsers - it was the first thing to be exploited. Safari was exploited, Firefox was exploited, IE8 in Win7 was exploited (and this is with Data Execution Protection enabled.) Only Google Chrome was not exploited this year, again.