My little problem...

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
So I've had an N1 for almost a week now that I bought on eBay and it has turned out to be an amazing phone. I have already rooted and added Cyanogen to the N1, which was not difficult at all...aside from a few moments of nearly crapping myself. Now as I take pictures of my Blackberry 9700 to post on eBay, I find myself having a hard time letting go. I do like the physical keyboard on the BB, battery life and occasionally BBM, but everything else on the N1 is just as good...or in the case of the browser, extraordinarily better.

Somebody, or a group of somebodys, please give me that final push of why I should sell the BB over the N1!

llexan

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
You can simply do more with the N1, for one. You also get all the cool little Google apps like Google Sky View and Voice. Open-source community for apps, easy modding.

I know I'm missing some key points, but hopefully this keeps pushing you in the right direction. ;)

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Well, I was in the same predicament not too long ago, with different devices, but still a switch from a BB to an Android device. So here were some of the things that have won me over to Android instead of BlackBerry. First, yes, BBM is cool, if your friend has a BB. If they switch devices, or you switch devices, or they don't ever have a BB to start with, its rather pointless. Gtalk on the Android serves as a pretty sweet replacement, and you would be surprised how many of your contacts already currently use it anyways, so no true loss there. Second, the gmail functionality of the Android is unmatched, even with the BIS 3.0 roll out that just took place. Never would I have thought that a mobile device could have so well replicated the experience that you are given on the web version. The physical keyboard, well there is not much to say there, thats a tough battle since its not something you can compare apples to apples. I do believe however you can use a bluetooth keyboard, or use the speech to text, and no typing is needed ;) As for the battery life, that is dependent on your usage habits obviously, but adding something as simple as this could help your experience tremendously. Seidio makes amazing batteries and that could give the little extra life that you need in order to achieve what you want. You won't be able to match the marketplace of the Android on the BB, and also, you don't have to wait 5 minutes for your device to reboot everytime you do get an application update.

So I know the change can be a little tough at times, and you may always fear the "what if" but know that you are making a good choice with the Android, and many of the features will exceed what you ever expected. I converted, and honestly couldn't be happier.

Jeryl31

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
I was a big Blackberry fan before also, simply because of the push email. But THAT is all you can get out of Blackberry. Sure BBM is nice but I know a lot of people who are moving onto the Android OS. You simply can't go wrong with Android, it's widgets, great browser, growing app market and in some devices you will have the Google navigation. Make the move fully to the N1 and don't look back. I recently switched from Droid to Blackberry Curve and now onto the Samsung Moment. This is just my phone until the HTC Evo4G comes in the summer.

ObiGeorge

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Well, I was in the same predicament not too long ago, with different devices, but still a switch from a BB to an Android device. So here were some of the things that have won me over to Android instead of BlackBerry. First, yes, BBM is cool, if your friend has a BB. If they switch devices, or you switch devices, or they don't ever have a BB to start with, its rather pointless. Gtalk on the Android serves as a pretty sweet replacement, and you would be surprised how many of your contacts already currently use it anyways, so no true loss there. Second, the gmail functionality of the Android is unmatched, even with the BIS 3.0 roll out that just took place. Never would I have thought that a mobile device could have so well replicated the experience that you are given on the web version. The physical keyboard, well there is not much to say there, thats a tough battle since its not something you can compare apples to apples. I do believe however you can use a bluetooth keyboard, or use the speech to text, and no typing is needed ;) As for the battery life, that is dependent on your usage habits obviously, but adding something as simple as could help your experience tremendously. Seidio makes amazing batteries and that could give the little extra life that you need in order to achieve what you want. You won't be able to match the marketplace of the Android on the BB, and also, you don't have to wait 5 minutes for your device to reboot everytime you do get an application update.

So I know the change can be a little tough at times, and you may always fear the "what if" but know that you are making a good choice with the Android, and many of the features will exceed what you ever expected. I converted, and honestly couldn't be happier.

Traitor :p

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
1. Download Raging Thunder 2 demo from the market for your N1
2. Download PBA bowling demo from the crackberry store.
3. Play both for 10 minutes.
4. Realize that you're basically comparing the first try at advanced openGL functions for each device, and while the Blackberry does some things very well, it's in need of a huge overhaul before it gets as good as everything else on the market. By the time Reasearch In slow Motion get's it overhauled, you would have moved on from that 9700 anyway.
5. Place the 9700 on ebay while the price is still high, and before a new model gets released.
6. Profit
:)

ObiGeorge

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
1. Download Raging Thunder 2 demo from the market for your N1
2. Download PBA bowling demo from the crackberry store.
3. Play both for 10 minutes.
4. Realize that you're basically comparing the first try at advanced openGL functions for each device, and while the Blackberry does some things very well, it's in need of a huge overhaul before it gets as good as everything else on the market. By the time Reasearch In slow Motion get's it overhauled, you would have moved on from that 9700 anyway.
5. Place the 9700 on ebay while the price is still high, and before a new model gets released.
6. Profit
:)

Only problem is the 9700 doesn't support openGL, so there really is no comparison

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Only problem is the 9700 doesn't support openGL, so there really is no comparison

My whole point.

All these "new" features supposedly in the works aren't ever going to come to the OP's 9700. Selling it now while he/she can recoup some of the cost (and before RIM's latest flavor of the month comes out and drops the prices on everything else) is the smartest move.

ObiGeorge

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
My whole point.

All these "new" features supposedly in the works aren't ever going to come to the OP's 9700. Selling it now while he/she can recoup some of the cost (and before RIM's latest flavor of the month comes out and drops the prices on everything else) is the smartest move.

Guess it all comes down on what your looking for, I personally use BlackBerry, webOS and have had an Android device from the beginning. Personally I could care less about openGL, or gaming at all for that matter. I love all my devices, but could not live without BlackBerry. Thats just me, I guess everyone is different.

dnalevelc

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
I came from a Tour to my Hero. I know it's no N1, but I love my Hero. BB makes a great phone and i do miss the push e-mail at times, but you gotta go with Android. I can definitely say I will get another android phone when I upgrade.

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Constant Blackberry outages. I had enough of them.

That was the big driver for me, all the outages! There have been some major outages as well as some smaller, lesser known outages (like when the PIN database had issues a month ago and only certain people [myself included] had issues). The Bold is listed on eBay and I just finished wiping and reinstalling the OS. Looks like it's Android-town for me!