Hi all. I've had this idea floating around in my head for ages. I thought it would have been best implemented by Samsung. The idea is in 2 parts that could be sold together or separately. A bit hard for me to explain, so please bear with me.

Firstly, you need either the top or bottom edge of the phone completely free of ports. Let's say for discussion, the top is free. You have a removable battery that slides in like a sliding drawer in a cupboard and clicks in. To remove it, you push the battery in a bit, it clicks out and you remove the battery.

Here is the best bit. There is a tiny, secondary sealed battery in the phone so that you can hot swap the battery without losing power. The battery only has to have a tiny bit of capacity say for 1 min running, just enough for for you to change the main battery. So you change battery in a few secs without the phone turning off/on and rebooting.

Alongside this you have an accessory. A separate battery charger like the Galaxy S5 had. HOWEVER, an intelligent unit that once the battery reaches 100%, it turns off. So that you can leave the battery in it for prolonged periods without being on constant charge.

The idea is that instead of plugging in the phone to recharge, you simply take click out the battery in the phone and hot swap the one in the second charger. Instant recharge. By the time you need recharging again, the battery in the second charger has topped up again.

That's the first benefit, which I think is a major improvement of plugging in and waiting to charge. The second benefit is that it's dead easy to take a second battery with you and again, hot swap for an instant recharge.

But the biggest plus is the first point. Not having to wait while a phone charges, just grab the second battery and hot swap it instantly.

What do you think?
    10-16-2016 04:22 AM
    I also thought of a really good TV ad for this concept. A daughter is talking for ages to her elderly mum on the phone and a screen shot shows 0% battery. The daughter says to her mum, "Mum, just give me a few seconds, my battery has run out" and the daughter clicks out the battery and hot swaps another one.

A few secs later and the daughter continues talking. Maybe a slogan like "Think different" ends the ad.
    10-16-2016 04:39 AM
    I like the idea, and the commercial. Would have been so useful in my Blackberry Storm and HTC Thunderbolt days.
    Now in my current phone battery is internal.
    If I was a shark on shark tank show I'd back this.
    12-25-2016 10:56 PM
    Neat idea for the phone and commercial. I thought of the LG G5 (G6?) and V30 being able to do this.
    12-25-2016 11:41 PM