Gameloft Refund for In-App Purchase?

danyzfr6

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried to get a refund for an in-app purchase from Gameloft? I bought Asphalt 7. I let my nephew play it on my Nexus 7 and he (you can see where this is going) inadvertently bought a $50 (YES! $50!) "Large Cash Pack" in-app purchase.

I have contacted both Google Play and Gameloft but have not yet heard back.

Am I just screwed? Has anyone successfully received a refund from Gameloft? Is anyone else perturbed by how easy it is to get ripped off for $50 in a game?

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong forum....

Brian Redfern

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
This just happened to me today, but my 7 year old niece bought $300 (!!!) in gems for Gameloft's My Little Pony Game.

Of course I should have had my Google Wallet account pin protected (it is now), but there has to be a simple way to get resoltution for this, right? I sent emails asking for refunds on each of the three orders to Gameloft and if I don't hear back from them I am going to dispute the charge directly with my CC company.

Were you able to resolve your issue? Anyone else here have this happen to them?

KittyUK

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I always have my Google Wallet account pin protected,I lost my previous phone and don't what somebody use my money if I will loose this one.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
This just happened to me with my daughter and the "Littlest Pet Shop" game ($20 purchase). I wrote in requesting a refund and, well...here's the exchange thus far:

My initial request for refund where I filled out the box in the Google Play request form:
I don't know what this purchase is, but I suspect my 6 year old daughter may have ordered this item without my consent. If I need to disable or uninstall something to get a refund, please let me know. Thanks.

Their response (a day later):
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your letter to Gameloft Customer Care.

I am sorry to hear about your troubles.

During the first start of Littlest Pet Shop the game asks you to accept this:

"By playing the game, you acknowledge that you have read and understood the License agreement for this app and accept it all of its terms. My Littlest Petshop is free to play.

In the game you will have the options to purchase in-game cash. You will be charged when you purchase "kibble" and "bling". If you do not want to have this option, you can disable it." When you tap on "OK" you confirm that you accept the Conditions of Use.

Unfortunately we do not carry responsibilities for purchaser's errors. It is indicated in our Terms and Conditions.

Please be advised you can Set a Pin Code to be entered whenever an Android Market Purchase or IAP is performed on your device by going to Market / Menu Key / Settings / User Controls / Use PIN for purchases.

Please feel free to reply to this letter in case you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely,
-------------------------------
Elena Popsulis
Customer Care Agent
Top Mobile Games for iOS, Android, Java & more | Gameloft
Gameloft customer care

And my reply (still unanswered as of today):
Elena,
I find that extremely disappointing, particularly because you are somehow expecting a six year old to agree to such conditions and are also front-loading these options for in-app purchases that she is not aware is costing such large amounts of money ($20 !!!). This is a new phone for me and I had not as yet set up the PIN requirement on the Play store. I feel Gameloft is relying on the ignorance of youth by not having the purchase options as an "opt-in" feature, disabling them until permissions are confirmed. I will make sure to write up my thoughts on this in a review on the Play Store site so that others may be made aware that Gameloft is doing this. I take responsibility for downloading the game in the first place and actually putting trust in a game developer. I shall not do so again.

Pretty lousy of them to fall back on a "Terms and Conditions" clause. It's a deceptive practice, in my opinion...particularly when it comes to games marketed toward young children.
I'd like to see some mail & request flooding to address this sort of thing.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I actually got a refund! I had to jump through a hoop or two, but I got the credit back a few days ago. I still think I'd not install any of their games until they figure out a more proactive way of protecting their consumers.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I actually got a refund! I had to jump through a hoop or two, but I got the credit back a few days ago. I still think I'd not install any of their games until they figure out a more proactive way of protecting their consumers.

It's nice they refunded you, but in all honesty I think it should be the responsibility of the device owner to use the parental/security controls available in the Play Store and Amazon App Store.

Why would they need to figure out a more proactive way of protecting their consumers when Google and Amazon already have solutions built-in (pin numbers)?

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
It's nice they refunded you, but in all honesty I think it should be the responsibility of the device owner to use the parental/security controls available in the Play Store and Amazon App Store.

Why would they need to figure out a more proactive way of protecting their consumers when Google and Amazon already have solutions built-in (pin numbers)?

These games are geared towards kids, yet the first thing they do is divert you to the in app purchase screen. Not only that, but the game is virtually useless without these purchases. It's all well and good to lay it all on the Google Play store security, but game loft created a policy where refunds are not even a consideration (unless they are badgered, apparently). This is a brand new phone and though I had security set up on the previous phone, I had not fixed the setting on the new one yet.

The whole setup with game loft just reeks...a "free"game with almost no real functionality, extremely pricey in app purchasing all frontloaded at the start of the game, and almost completely passing the buck when it comes to unauthorized purchases. It may all be perfectly legal, but it most certainly isn't a developer I will willingly deal with again.

CheronG05

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought a galaxy S II from Amazon.com and soon after I activated the phone I started getting a ton of charges from Gameloft for a six guns game that I never played.. has anyone else had this issue? I was told by Sprint that I would have to request the refund through GameLoft. I was sent a e-mail stating that they would send me a refund in the form of a check, but I still haven't seen one. I was told that the charges were coming from the device, but I didn't even have the game on the phone. I changed the number and so far the charges have stopped, but I was just wondering if anyone else had these type of issues?

Julian Deane

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Hi

I have the same problem ?250 worth. When you say 'hoops', what do you mean?

I have emailed the UK General manager for Gameloft, no reply yet.

Thanks

Brenda LaFountain

Feb 1, 2014
Visit site
How did you get your money back, if you did?
Please help me
I also don't know how to Block these so my Grandkids can't buy anymore.

I have also been charged for Several things from this account. I have had No response.
This is how they make their money.Taking advantage of young kids that can't read.My grandson is 4 years old.
Then ignoring us when we want help.
I don't know how to black these game add on's.
Has any one got a refund ?if so please tell us how.

Please tell me HOW you got your money back? I can't find a contact us button or phone #.
I don't mind jumping through hoops if it gets my money back.
PLEASE HELP.

Last edited by a moderator:

Langers101

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site
Hi, how did you manage to contact them? I can't find an e-mail address or phone number anywhere.

Have been scammed out of potentially a lot of money - my fault putting my card on my daughter's Nexus, but there seems to be some kind of recurring charge - over 130 in 2 days!

Thanks

danielrall

Oct 13, 2015
Visit site
What was your point of contact for obtaining a refund from Gameloft (email address, URL, etc.)? I can't find anything useful on their main nor support site. I had someone install a game on my device -- I never agreed to their terms. Out $100. Thanks!

Brian Redfern

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I never got any sort of response from Gameloft. I ended up contesting the charges with my CC company and Gameloft never pushed back on that. I am guessing that is pretty much the only way you will get a "refund."

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae