Death of the Android Brand name???

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the debut of the name change by Google to Google Play for the former Android Market, I've been wondering if this is the end for the little green robot.

At least as the mascot.

I've read reports around the web about the majority of people not knowing that they actually use an Android powered product. And I can see how that may be the case for some. Especially considering the whole 'Droid' vs Android debacle.

Is Google making ready to move away from a sort of vague brand to their own self branded name?

Google OS?

I know that may sound crazy, but I could see how it could be a good thing. Humor me for a moment.

Google is the number 1 search engine right? Most people know the Google name and associate it with Maps, Gmail, Navigation, web, Talk and even to a lesser extent, Google Plus.

So why not change the OS name? More people would immediately recognize it and with the name intergration of the app, game, book and movie hub, people could associate all these things together and further push the brand and lock people in as iOS does for Apple.

Who thinks this would be a good idea, or am I just tripping?

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Hmm I was going to say maybe you're digging to deep into it but you make a good point. I don't think they will leave the little guy behind though. At least I hope not.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
I actually deal with people every day that argue with me because I say they have an Android device, they think it's a Google one because it says Google on the back.

Maybe Google is going to make it like Windows 8, combine Chrome OS with Android and have one OS for Tablets, computers and phones?

lizards4444

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I could see it happening, like u said, it would be better for marketing, as most of everyone knows the name google, but I doubt they would ditch their mascot

From my thumbs to your screen courtesy of tapatalk

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
Actually some old people I know are tech stupid and think their Android is an iPhone. Lol... No lie. Also most other people I know have no idea android us run by Google.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

dd0yl3

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I dont think they getting rid of the android name altogether but maybe just for there products. I think they will still put out updates to OS and it will still be called android. All the OEM's will still use their terms like Android with touchwiz or what not. Any Google product will be the nexus line, which will say Google on the back. These products will have the chrome browser, gmail and etc preinstalled. I think they are just trying to separate themselves from other OEMs.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Actually some old people I know are tech stupid and think their Android is an iPhone. Lol... No lie. Also most other people I know have no idea android us run by Google.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Lol, just curios as to what "old" is to you?

Sent from my iPhone 4 (while waiting on my CLNR Rezound to arrive and for VZW to push the ota of ICS! LOL ) using Tapatalk

vernotzy21

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Ever since the debut of the name change by Google to Google Play for the former Android Market, I've been wondering if this is the end for the little green robot.

At least as the mascot.

I've read reports around the web about the majority of people not knowing that they actually use an Android powered product. And I can see how that may be the case for some. Especially considering the whole 'Droid' vs Android debacle.

Is Google making ready to move away from a sort of vague brand to their own self branded name?

Google OS?

I know that may sound crazy, but I could see how it could be a good thing. Humor me for a moment.

Google is the number 1 search engine right? Most people know the Google name and associate it with Maps, Gmail, Navigation, web, Talk and even to a lesser extent, Google Plus.

So why not change the OS name? More people would immediately recognize it and with the name intergration of the app, game, book and movie hub, people could associate all these things together and further push the brand and lock people in as iOS does for Apple.

Who thinks this would be a good idea, or am I just tripping?

If they change the name from android I WILL BE PISSED!!!!

And to me the term "Droid" compared to "android"
....come on people if someone's name is William you don't go around saying William you say will......or in some cases bill

I like droid:thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums

slywalk

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You, may, unfortunately be right. It makes sense. For people who aren't already familiar with the OS, knowing it as the Google OS seems way simpler, and I suppose, more "trustworthy" like Apple is "trustworthy". Although without a doubt I like Android better :p

NitrisOX

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I think it couldn't be a bad idea. It would give it a more modern sound. It would be like "I have (Google OS, iOS, or Web OS), what do you have?" I think it sounds better and it WOULD be better for marketing but they definitely shouldn't ditch Android mascot.

Sent from my Epic Touch using Android Central Forums

Shulbert1968

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I too would like to keep it Android. Your story does have its pros about it, I just wonder if the powers to be at Google are even thinking about this.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

funkylogik

May 21, 2012
Visit site
i LOVE the name Android, its kinda sci-fi and the logo is cool.
you can already see the "android-based" oems distancing themself from the name prefering their own identity as Sense, Touchwiz though...

global s3, UK. Ask me anything and ill reply even if its just an intelligent (or stupid) guess ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463