Death of the Android Brand name???

Fairclough

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It is a logical idea, but it would be rather annoying going for a major rename! Because then people would think its a whole new product cause further more confusion etc.

saint satin stain

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
I am seventy (70, for some of the illiterate young, some of 'em who can't read words. But can they count to seventy? Only ten digits, plus nose, two ears.) and I suppose that's old. Treat us as individuals. You did say, some. I am seventy can still do a double century on my Serotta touring bike.
I rooted my phone, got rid of bloat, and, among other things, got twice battery life. I discovered not in the carrier's queue for future updates, next one I C S, I flashed a stock rom. Yesterday message popped up saying Software Update. Now I have I C S. Yeah, I'm old. I read sci fi about global hand held communicators. I have linux, Ubuntu and Android, Macs, Windows in my network, yet mow lawn with pushmower, grind my Sidamo beans with manual grinder, and dont use power saws or clippers. Selective use of tech my choice, I only use high tech when really needed. When on a bicycle tour I can access home. And I'm smarter than most of youse folk, maybe. I ask this question (only answer to yourself), how many of you carry two charged spare batteries and a solar power charger and have a rooted phone with almost twice the stated battery life? You dont worry about not having power for your phone?

Wise folk learn from others; it's sometimes called history, ancient and modern.
Smart folk learn from own mistakes; good if doesn't kill ya.
Fools and folk who dont understand "There are 10 kinds of people in the world:
Those who understand binary and those who don't." Well, I am old, 70, but simply means I haven't been kilt by a bear or anything else yet.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Why can't it be called Google Android? It brings identity, reduces confusion, and keeps the little green guy around.

gnr_2

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
If they change the name from android I WILL BE PISSED!!!!

And to me the term "Droid" compared to "android"
....come on people if someone's name is William you don't go around saying William you say will......or in some cases bill

I like droid:thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-M820 using Android Central Forums
The OP couldn't have written this any better to make his/her point.

Droid is a phone series. Just like Galaxy is a series or One or Nexus. Android is a operating system on lots of phones, including the Droids, the Galaxies, the Ones and the Nexuses (Nexi?).

Sent from my totally awesome Sprint Galaxy Nexus, even if I don't know all its secrets yet.

Seronac

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I think they should leave it alone. If people don't understand that Android is a Google product, then that is simply a failure of marketing, and they need to change it. Market it as Android by/from Google, implement a licensing program in which OEMs who use Android must state it in their marketing materials, and educate people.

It amazes me, in this information age with free public education, how many willfully ignorant and stupid people there still are.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

That reminds me of an exchange taking place between me, my cousin, and my other cousin's friend. Keep in mind these were children of ages approximately 10-12.

Me: *takes out Nexus 7*
Cousin's friend: Is that an iPad mini?
Me: No, it's a Nexus 7. It's like an iPad mini, but better.
Cousin's friend: How?
Me: Well, for example, it has a better processor, more RAM, a better operating system, it's cheaper?
Other cousin: But it has a Google operating system!
Me: Yeah? it's Android. What do you mean?
Other cousin: Oh? so it's made by Samsung?
Me: *internal facepalm*

Another time, I was at a theater and was using my N7 (yes, this was before the movie started playing), and there was a person inquiring about it (who was quite interested in it) and who had heard about the Nexus 4 but not the Nexus 7. I'd think it would be quite the opposite. Very interesting.

dchawk81

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
That's because Samsung markets the **** out of their Android devices, and is as a result simultaneously destroying the competition in the Android space and synonymizing themselves with Android. In the meantime, Google isn't marketing the Nexus much, let alone attaching the manufacturer name to them, so Samsung continues to get all the credit.

Not to mention that Samsung puts out so many new devices every week that it's not really strange for people to assume everything is yet another Samsung, not an HTC or Motorola or LG or whatever...even if they know those manufacturers do make Android products.

phonejunky

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Google has the manufacturer name on every nexus device, and the nexus is first and foremost a developers handset isn't it?

Sent from a pure Google experience.