Hp touchpad dead screen _ need data off
I have an HP TouchPad that I was using with Android.. I dumped it in the bath tub, and killed the screen.. If I turn All the lights off in bed room, and climb under blankets I can faintly seen the touchpad is working, but not well enough to actually dabble in menu's.
Is there a way to erase all the data on it via a USB cable and a computer? I don't want to recycle it with data on it.
- 06-29-2014, 04:53 PM #2
Re: Hp touchpad dead screen _ need data off
If you're still looking for an answer, it may be simpler than you think.
Open the pad. (You're throwing it out, so breaking the case shouldn't matter.)
Find the electronics. Most of it will be on one board. Take that board out, put it in the oven, put it on Broil and broil the board for about 15 minutes. (At that point, most likely there won't be any recoverable data left. 500 degrees F is a little beyond the guaranteed maximum storage temperature of most electronics.)
Just to be sure, when it cools off find an anvil (like a large vise with a place to hammer out sheet metal) or a strong rock. Put the board down and pulverize it with a hammer. Even the NSA wouldn't be able to get any data off it.
The whole process, including the broiling time (but not the cooling off time - just let it sit for an hour or two while you do something else) shouldn't take half an hour.
(You don't want to broil the whole pad. The smell will be bad enough when the coating on the board burns off. If you broil the plastic [case and screen], you won't ever get the stink out of the walls.)
- By jsm1985 in forum Motorola Droid MAXXReplies: 5Last Post: 06-04-2014, 05:02 AM
- By brandonx1000 in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3Replies: 5Last Post: 06-02-2014, 09:30 AM
- By khughes6 in forum HTC One M8Replies: 7Last Post: 05-30-2014, 03:00 PM
- By Jon Jackson in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 9Last Post: 05-30-2014, 11:28 AM
- By dougie1792 in forum Samsung Galaxy S5Replies: 1Last Post: 05-29-2014, 10:22 PM