What new hardware would you like to see in android devices?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to be somewhat realistic (you don't have to be).

mSATA SSD's - I/O is quickly becoming the bottleneck in android devices. It happened with computers, and it's going to happen with phones and tablets too. microSD cards are only so fast, and with phones taking 1080p video and having burst modes capable of multiple shots per second, storage speed is becoming a limiting factor. Enter mSATA. It's a pretty small SSD, when you break it down to basics. It uses the same connector as a mini PCIe card, and is just about as small. We would need a SATA controller to be integrated, but I can see this being done in the future. Capacities are good, too, ranging from 32gb to 256gb. Yeah, 500mbps might be overkill for a mobile platform, but if it can be then why not? :)

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Better antennas :)

phones with internal storage of 64gb at the min. with read write speeds of class 10 sd cards.

That would be a wonderful start. Maybe a nice precache of ~256MB RAM, that way the flash read/write speed could be negated and you wouldn't need class10.

I'd also really love to see a power efficient LTE radio. Standalone DSP(creative labs or altec lansing) and GPU(nvidia)

This is a wishlist right..?? ;-)

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Personally , I've few thing in mind :

- More storage space, 64GB or more , if Apple can do it why not Motorola or HTC or Samsung?

- More "different" built materials , like the RAZR's Kevlar back
I told my brother "Don't let me Touch anther Motorola RAZR or I'll end up buying one"
I thought allot about getting a RAZR just because of the Kevlar back , even though the RAZR isn't that leap forward from my Atrix, I'm just a sucka for that Kevlar back

- Better Camera Optics & sensors, Sony & HTC are already doing this

- maybe more OEMs to use NFC
Sony is on the right track with their SmartTags & I can't wait to see what Motorola will do when they start using NFC & the stuff they will come up with

- maybe more color variants instead of black or white, something like Nokia Lumia line

Thats what I can think of for now

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll agree with Tony... Lets get better antenna/radio's in place as a standard. You can have all the best features in the world but if the darn thing can't make/receive a phone call or connect to the net what good is all of it?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
We don't need better antennas. We need more tx/rx power. That will take a quantum leap in battery technology. By the way, how has nobody said that yet? :p

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've got one more. With video chat being as popular and up-and-coming as it is. How about a decent front facing camera with low light sensor? I mean in anything other than spotlights or broad daylight, the standard front facing camera is garbage.

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
4" - 4.3" screens
Either screen sizes need to come down or shirt manufacturers need to start making bigger pockets.
Something resembling edge to edge screens would be nice too

This. My 4.3" Sensation is to me the perfect form factor, it is about as long and as wide as I can deal with in daily use. It is by today's standards getting a little thick, but unlike most people I actually find that the longer/wider a phone gets (instead of thicker), the more unwieldy it is for daily use. If companies want to come out with 4.5"+ screens, we need to start seeing edge to edge displays, something like this:
Samsung-Galaxy-S3.jpg

That way we can have our larger displays without having a massive phone.

Other things: batteries need to start improving. Battery tech has without a doubt been the slowest thing to improve in the tech world, and it does not have good prospects when devices are receiving specs that are ever more power hungry but don't have the battery to match. It's actually the area I'm hoping to get into out of college because of my interest in it.

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
Mine is simple: much better battery tech! Something that charges fairly quickly and lasts at least 24 hours with moderate to heavy use. But, it MUST also be removable! At least until the failure rate can be brought down to near zero. Don't get me wrong, this is NOT based on any type of battery life on my Thunderbolt (which is actually quite good considering), but a wider issue across all smartphones!

Oh, and more native kickstands would be nice (I don't like case ones, prefer naked). I use my kickstand all the time and can't imagine having a phone without it! :p

I'll take the kickstand if I can prop my phone up in any direction. How about better glass? If we're going ultimate phones here, I'd like a phone with unbreakable unscratchable unfingerprintable glass.

axne1

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I would like phone specs to have a quality standard, so devs can unleash cooler apps and Roms quickly. Instead of 127,000 different gpu/CPU combos. :)

Kanged out Google phone +
Franco's Magic :)

Hbomber110

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll take the kickstand if I can prop my phone up in any direction. How about better glass? If we're going ultimate phones here, I'd like a phone with unbreakable unscratchable unfingerprintable glass.

Invisible glass !

Amoled phones are great but its still hard too read text with direct sunlight.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Yes I forgot to add , a KickStand !!!!

Manufactures should build more phone like the HTC Surround , with a slide-out speaker & a Kickstand ... If Motorola built one , It will be the ultimate entertainment handheld gadget , Lets face it Nobody makes speakers like Motorola

kjbuente

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I would love to see phones with a few things that have already been mentioned and a few more....
Much FASTER internal memory with high capacities. >64GB
A precache for the storage separated from the main system RAM.
More RAM! Seeing that most of 1GB on most phones already get used up after a few minutes (Including disk I/O). More RAM the better, not like it consumes that much battery....
NFC and wireless charging is a must for me...
Faster FSB for the ARM CPU,(Especially to the GPU). It won't be long untill this is a big bottleneck.....
Removable high capacity batteries.

If one comes out with those features, I don't care how much it costs I'm buying it! :-$

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to throw this in for people like me that are still stuck on radio... A digital/HD radio tuner or at least add in card for HD radio/XM/Sirius. And the coupe de grace, a universal dock/accessory port (micro USB) located in the same spot for every phone/tablet. I know that's more cosmetic but it'd still be nice.

kjbuente

May 17, 2010
Visit site
MrSmith317,

I can't believe that I forgot the radio! (Being a terrestrial radio engineer, how could I of forgotten)! Yes A HD tuner would be awesome! Even just adding a good RDS\RDBS decoder to the current one would be great. (DInc's RDS is spotty at best :-\ )

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The problem with most FM tuners is that they use the headphones as the antenna. That's just not good for reception. And seeing that FM reception is dependent on antenna length I don't see them putting one in a phone. And headphones aren't typically long enough for good reception.

IceDree

= I C E D R E E = ?
Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Also a FM transmitter, like the one in that sony ericsson walkman flipphone , I think it was W980I

That will be awsome for old cars, or the ones that doesn't have AUX\USB\BlueTooth