My Experience on Android L so far

jrsnively1

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
So I just flashed the new image onto my nexus 7 2013 and decided to do a mini review of mostly first impression stuff...

First of all the new look is a little odd. The feint colors and weird shadows make it feel like a tampered version of android rather than the stock, vanilla, and perfectly neutral android I've come to love. Holo, and its emphasis on black and white is gone, replaced by pale blues, greys and greens. The new look isn't bad enough that I won't get used to it in a little while, but its hard to love for the time being. Also while I hated the shapes at the bottom (especially the triangle), I actually got used to them pretty quickly!

The stock keyboard took a turn for the worst... No lines is so hard to type on and especially so on a tablet screen. (I guess it's not too bad cause I typed this review with it). Here you see some of the design changes. The green, the gray, and the removal of detail. (Edit: you can change it to the old formating under settings! Thanks Darth Spock)

Not everything looked worse! The settings, for example cleaned up very nicely! Sadly, the same could not be said for its cousin the quick settings... Once a large customizable page of quick easy to use settings now condensed, set in stone, and in a weird cubby above the notification panel. Which also removes its svelte black look for a less striking one.

The multitasking looks like the tab browser in chrome, something that while new, is familiar to operate at least. (I think HTC has the best concept of this "recents" screen, as well as quick settings, in its Sense UI)

The only problems I have met so far (and this is not the final build so it is expected) are just in the appearance of certain apps when they display a popup menu, for example viewing comments in the Facebook app, where the text appears but without a background. And that there aren't buttons to quickly clear the notification panel OR the multitasking screen.

I'm guessing this update is all about features, and appearance was put on the back burner... I felt like holo, was a lot more "unifying" design for google as a whole than this material design seems to be. I hope it will get refined in the future! And android is still the best :)

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

jrsnively1

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I'll be happy to answer any questions in the comments!

Attachments

• 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 252
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 251
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 250
  • 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 249
Last edited:

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got mine I agree the stock keyboard got butchered and the pull down menu is straight up weird but I'm excited about the future of Android

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 or Samsung galaxy S5

jrsnively1

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Here are some Pictures!

Attachments

• 362.jpg
    362.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 361.jpg
    361.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 222
  • 360.jpg
    360.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 219
  • 46.jpg
    46.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 45.jpg
    45.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 217
  • 43.jpg
    43.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 47.jpg
    47.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 215

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Most apps that don't run on the developer preview probably aren't meant for ART. I learned that a while back with Facebook. Oh, Engadget doesn't work either. Facebook does because I put in lots of complaints.

GMC MaXx

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I've been running L for a few hours. I like change to keep me from getting bored. I have no design complaints and I think the keyboard is an improvement. Especially if you swipe type.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I don't suppose someone could enable "inverted colours" in accessibility and pop off a few screenies please? I would be much obliged! :)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't suppose someone could enable "inverted colours" in accessibility and pop off a few screenies please? I would be much obliged! :)

Testing..

Posted via Android Central App on nexus L

Attachments

• 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 166
  • 29.jpg
    29.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 167

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The screenshots seem to not care what the display looked like. Those were taken inverted but as soon as I switched back they look normal.

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I guess since this is available on Nexus devices, we won't have any idea if there are SD card issues with L. Any thoughts about that aspect of the OS?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The screenshots seem to not care what the display looked like. Those were taken inverted but as soon as I switched back they look normal.

I guess it's just an overlayed filter or something...

Thanks anyway! I appreciate the effort.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess since this is available on Nexus devices, we won't have any idea if there are SD card issues with L. Any thoughts about that aspect of the OS?

I'd guess it would be the same as KitKat, because the whole SD card thing was done for security reasons, and isn't technically an issue.

Martin Disch

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
I have it too and while I'm not digging all design changes, I definitely like it overall. However, I'm experiencing a strange drop in download speeds when using WiFi. Downloading all the apps and even loading articles from the Android Central app has become a real pain and it doesn't make sense.

12Danny123

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
I have it too and while I'm not digging all design changes, I definitely like it overall. However, I'm experiencing a strange drop in download speeds when using WiFi. Downloading all the apps and even loading articles from the Android Central app has become a real pain and it doesn't make sense.

Well it is a developer preview

Adiliyo

Oct 17, 2009
Visit site

wifi def has some quirks and issues, but like it's been stated, it's a developer preview. i'm sure it will be optimized by final release and (hopefully) updates to the dev preview. mms not working with wifi on is my biggest issue (and even that's not so bad now)

Martin Disch

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Well it is a developer preview
Absolutely and that's why I got it. At least with me, WiFi has improved by now, which I find very strange. At first it was bad even when no downloads at all happened in the background and reboots didn't help, but at some point it just "clicked" I guess, which is strange for sure.
How are you finding the keyboard, by the way? While it definitely looks nice I personally have a hard time adjusting to it because of the lack of dividers between keys. But it's nice how they let you customize the key layout and even revert to the classic keyboard look if you wish so.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463