hey guys. just a question

exkerZ

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi all. I like to think myself as a phone nerd and really technological apt, but the truth is i have a lot to learn. I really like that people think im awesome because i can do a lot of things with my androids, but that's only because of the millions of useful guides out there on the internet; so i am not actually that intelligent in the area, i just know how to follow directions.

Introductions out of the way and on to the pertinent question,

Im running the android L preview on my nexus 5. When the official os comes out, will google automatically update my phone with the "bug-free", consumer-ready OS, or do i have to install that myself?

In other words, do i have to roll back to android 4.4.4 now, or can i leave my phone as is and expect our long awaited awesome OS to enter my phone me?

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, good question. This is the first time they've done a beta for any of their OSes so we can't say for sure. My guess is that you would have to roll back to KK before you could accept an L OTA.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I can see a direct update from the preview a possibility. That way, you don't have to downgrade to 4.4. It would simply apply the changes on top of the preview.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL

exkerZ

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Ahh okay ill just wait it out then, with hope that i dont need to roll back. I would love to save the half hour of doing that. Haha

Paletta2

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I am on the same boat you are I'm a nerd "week" who knows how to follow directions,. I think it would be nice if you didn't have to go back to KK, to be able to update.

However I do have a question for you, since I had L for a while, how are you dealing with MMS and picture messages? , that didn't work for me at all, and I was forced to downgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App

exkerZ

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
I am on the same boat you are I'm a nerd "week" who knows how to follow directions,. I think it would be nice if you didn't have to go back to KK, to be able to update.

However I do have a question for you, since I had L for a while, how are you dealing with MMS and picture messages? , that didn't work for me at all, and I was forced to downgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App

I used.. Um.. Chomp SMS. It was okay.

jalt179

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Since update to newest version of Hangouts has the L preview MMS issue resolved? I'm considering using L on daily driver phone.

exkerZ

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Since update to newest version of Hangouts has the L preview MMS issue resolved? I'm considering using L on daily driver phone.

I suggest for you to wait. Android L is coming soon. The bugs are not fixed, and will not be fixed until you have the official version. Possibly in the next month or so?

jalt179

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm was guessing around the 16th of October. I have talked myself out of putting L to this point. Might as well stay the course and wait for OTA.