Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Default hey guys. just a question

Hi all. I like to think myself as a phone nerd and really technological apt, but the truth is i have a lot to learn. I really like that people think im awesome because i can do a lot of things with my androids, but that's only because of the millions of useful guides out there on the internet; so i am not actually that intelligent in the area, i just know how to follow directions.

Introductions out of the way and on to the pertinent question,

Im running the android L preview on my nexus 5. When the official os comes out, will google automatically update my phone with the "bug-free", consumer-ready OS, or do i have to install that myself?

In other words, do i have to roll back to android 4.4.4 now, or can i leave my phone as is and expect our long awaited awesome OS to enter my phone me?

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    8,983 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Default Re: hey guys. just a question

Hmm, good question. This is the first time they've done a beta for any of their OSes so we can't say for sure. My guess is that you would have to roll back to KK before you could accept an L OTA.
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    exkerZ 
    Paletta2 likes this.

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

I can see a direct update from the preview a possibility. That way, you don't have to downgrade to 4.4. It would simply apply the changes on top of the preview.

Sent from my nifty 2 year old AT&T HTC One XL
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
    Thanked by:
    exkerZ 
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Ahh okay ill just wait it out then, with hope that i dont need to roll back. I would love to save the half hour of doing that. Haha

Global Posts
    4,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by exkerZ View Post
    Ahh okay ill just wait it out then, with hope that i dont need to roll back. I would love to save the half hour of doing that. Haha

It would be a slight inconvenience
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn

I am on the same boat you are I'm a nerd "week" who knows how to follow directions,. I think it would be nice if you didn't have to go back to KK, to be able to update.

However I do have a question for you, since I had L for a while, how are you dealing with MMS and picture messages? , that didn't work for me at all, and I was forced to downgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Paletta2 View Post
    I am on the same boat you are I'm a nerd "week" who knows how to follow directions,. I think it would be nice if you didn't have to go back to KK, to be able to update.

However I do have a question for you, since I had L for a while, how are you dealing with MMS and picture messages? , that didn't work for me at all, and I was forced to downgrade.

Posted via the Android Central App
    I used.. Um.. Chomp SMS. It was okay.

ROM
    Stock

Since update to newest version of Hangouts has the L preview MMS issue resolved? I'm considering using L on daily driver phone.

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    236 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jalt179 View Post
    Since update to newest version of Hangouts has the L preview MMS issue resolved? I'm considering using L on daily driver phone.

I suggest for you to wait. Android L is coming soon. The bugs are not fixed, and will not be fixed until you have the official version. Possibly in the next month or so?

ROM
    Stock

Yeah, I'm was guessing around the 16th of October. I have talked myself out of putting L to this point. Might as well stay the course and wait for OTA.

Quote Originally Posted by jalt179 View Post

It is NOT fixed. No MMS if WiFi is on.

Oh, and I doubt very much you will get the official Android L OTA. I bet you'll have to downgrade to KitKat.