Doesn't 32 bit chipset support 4GB addressing?

Slingshot54

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
If Snapdragon supports 32 bit addressing then why don't best of the latest crop of smartphones boast 4GB of real storage? The LG G3 has an option that comes with 3GB of real memory. Why not 4GB of real memory? Besides the cost is there something I am missing?
More memory would give better peformance, no?

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
More RAM not storage doesn't always aquate to better performance in fact the two skus of the g3( 2 or 3 gb of ram) is for the software and doesn't mean ones better than the other at least that's what LG said

Posted via the Android Central App

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I'm not an expert with this kind of stuff but you can expand the memory bandwidth(or something like that) and give 32 bit hardware to capability to run more than 4GB RAM, which is the recognised limit for 32 bit systems.

However more RAM does not always equal better performance, there is an optimal limit for each system as to how much RAM it should have. 64 bit systems have the ability to address 1000s of GBs of RAM, yet they are coupled with 4GB, 8GB and so on...

And from a certain point if you do not improve your CPU and GPU and keep adding more RAM, there will come a time when you'll be subject to diminishing returns because the CPU/GPU will bottleneck the extra RAM(if I am using that word correctly)

For phones 2GB of RAM is more than enough, but humans are never satisfied with existing standards and our curiosity and will to improve is probably why we are more developed than other species.

We are heading towards 64 bit hardware in mobiles, the Tegra K1 is an example of a huge leap and soon enough you will find phones with 4GB of RAM or more.

Again, I could be wrong but this is what I've read.

Slingshot54

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Many thanx for your reply. Yes your point on diminishing returns is well taken. We must think of our phones as computers. In order to achieve best performance there must be a balanced flow through all parts of the system. That is why 64Bit architecture will be realized by Qualcoms Snapdragon 810, 8 cores processor, not the current 4 core of the 801.

We understand that every computer has an inherent bottleneck built into it, other wise it would be infinitely fast. Not good for phone manufacturers profits! It is either CPU or memory or I/O. I believe that for phones the limiting factor is memory.

Slingshot54

Dec 7, 2014
Visit site
Thanx for your reply. I don't know about you but if I spent about $500 on LG G3 I will buy the one with more memory which costs $40 more. The issue is really price performance. Is it worth $40 to get 50% more RAM that will house your apps? I dare say yes.

salmanahmad

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
In order to achieve best performance there must be a balanced flow through all parts of the system. That is why 64Bit architecture will be realized by Qualcoms Snapdragon 810, 8 cores processor, not the current 4 core of the 801.

We understand that every computer has an inherent bottleneck built into it, other wise it would be infinitely fast. Not good for phone manufacturers profits! It is either CPU or memory or I/O. I believe that for phones the limiting factor is memory.

I fully agree with your first point about a balance between all parts of the system, but with my somewhat extended knowledge of the technology that goes into making a phone, I would disagree.

The first thing is that 64 bit architecture and addressing 4GB of RAM or more has nothing to do with core count, the Tegra K1 and Apple A7(and A8) are dual core SOCs that support 64 bit.

Core count has become a marketing strategy, but more cores do not always result in better performance. If you want to know more about this, you can always message me.

Lastly I disagree with that "inherent bottleneck" part, primarily because manufacturers try their best to put the best of available hardware into their phones, not because they want you buy a new device every year.

For phones the limiting factors include temperature constraints, size constraints, money constraints, and so on...

Temperature constraint may probably be the biggest constraint but we are overcoming that fast.

Thanx for your reply. I don't know about you but if I spent about $500 on LG G3 I will buy the one with more memory which costs $40 more. The issue is really price performance. Is it worth $40 to get 50% more RAM that will house your apps? I dare say yes.

For the G3 the extra gigabyte may be worth it, because the software is a bit heavy. I hope the phone is working we'll for you.

The Android Lollipop that will arrive soon for your phone will also speed it up a lot, stay tuned for that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678