Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I hope they change the buttons on L?

That is the only thing I don't like about it. Right now it is easy to determine what each button does a back home and task button but with L it is confusing with a circle and square button.
    Asus Nexus 7 Tablet (2013) - Stock Android 4.4.4 on WiFi.
    LG Nexus 5 Phone (2013) - Stock Android 4.4.4 on T-Mobile LTE and WiFi.
    Zombie

Global Posts
    1,826 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: I hope they change the buttons on L?

i agree i am note really fond of the look of the overly simplistic buttons
    Android: Galaxy Note 3, Nexus 5
    iOS: iPhone 5s
    Windows Phone:Lumia Icon

Yeah I don't get how the circle = home is intuitive. I totally get changing the keys, but it seems sensible to me to make them at least tangentially similar. Many Softkeyz implementations are better. Building in the option to change them a la LG would be great.
    --------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013
    Thanked by:
    paisley99 likes this.

ROM
    apex V 1.4.1

Yeah, I glad I'm not the only who thinks that those new on-screen buttons look weird.
    Droid M(for now)

Ya that's my number one concern that and the animations but I am assuming if there's any problems with animations I can turn them off in developer options

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 or Samsung galaxy S5

I don't mind the back button, or even the recents button, but the home button being a circle just doesn't make any sense.

The thing that has me worried with the buttons in l is touch area. From screenshots from the keynote they take up less space horizontally in the nav bar than they did in 4.4-...

Quote Originally Posted by en28so View Post
    Yeah, I glad I'm not the only who thinks that those new on-screen buttons look weird.
    Nope. They all look horrible.

Posted via Android Central App

They remind me of a Playstation controller.
    Formerly forever29
    iPhone 5S 64GB
    Galaxy Note 3
    iPad Mini with Retina 32gb
    Thanked by:
    Darth Spock likes this.

ROM
    Vicious JB V3/ Franco

I like them. They stay.

I kind of don't get what the buzz is about they serve the same functionality function they've served since Ics

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5

I think the new buttons are awful. I imagine the idea is that they will work better for a game controller that should have the same buttons (so in a sense they are maybe supposed to look like Playstation icons) but they're completely non-intuitive for new or unsophisticated users and should be dropped faster than a hot potato.

Global Posts
    173 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vividrich View Post
    Yeah I don't get how the circle = home is intuitive. I totally get changing the keys, but it seems sensible to me to make them at least tangentially similar. Many Softkeyz implementations are better. Building in the option to change them a la LG would be great.
    You understand there is another smartphone platform out there which has had a circle home button since its very first phone sold in 2007, and they seem to be doing ok.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

I know it is only a beta preview but I hope they tweak the buttons but I really like the current ones so much better.

Lol but do ppl buy IPhones because they have a circular button? No

I like them. I never really liked how the old buttons, particularly home, looked.

17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

I hated the way the iPhone had a stupid physical button on the bottom. It was annoying having to press it also no one in my house was able to double press the button for there life. I even had trouble. I love the way the Nexus 5 & 7 have no physical button but actually have them on the screen. It is so easy to switch between apps and close them. I just think the new buttons are more confusing as they don't even look like the back, home and task buttons so they will confuse new users easily.

I like them. Simple, minimalist, and clean. They actually look nice on screen and work just the same as the old nav buttons. Honestly it would take all but a few minutes for a new user to figure out what they do.

I'm also confused by the idea that a phone requires an actual home icon to denote "home". One of the biggest selling Android devices, the Galaxy S series, has a physical button with no iconography and I don't think people have problems figuring out what it does. In the smartphone age, people are seemingly hardwired now to know the the center button = home thanks to Apple and Samsung. Now I wouldn't mind in the slightest if they reverted back on the change as I like the previous nav buttons all the same.

Just my opinion.

I have a feeling that these buttons might end up making a little bit more sense once the final versions come around.... Keep in mind that this is an EARLY preview developer release.... the UI is far from being finalized and it is meant so app devs can start getting their stuff running. Google has already said that they have some big plans to overhaul a lot of the UI, including the launcher and home screen stuff.

That being said, after loading the preview on my phone, the nav buttons look fine.
    trandz likes this.

I was thinking the same thing at first, but by now that I've become used to them I even like how they look.

they're different, but they do somewhat make sense.

triangle pointed backwards = back
    circle (there are a lot of circles in the new ui, coupled with the circular home button on ios) = home (plus, it's in the middle, honestly they could have made it a poo emoji and people would now inherently know what it was going to do)
    square = recents (same shape as the recent app cards)
    Nexus 5 // Lumia 1020
    dnalevelc likes this.

ROM
    Viper

Put me in the "Hope they Change" crowd.

It looks like they are going for some sort of simplistic, not very well thought out, UI scheme with them. It looks like junior programmer's first attempt at UI or something. Almost like laziness.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    ottscay likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    It looks like they are going for some sort of simplistic, not very well thought out, UI
    Listening to/reading some of the interviews about the new Material Design, I wonder if it would be more accurate to say "simplistic, OVER thought out, UI".

The problem I see with the buttons is that when they loose any intuitive visual meaning - the circle and square look the same from any rotation/angle, and neither inherently mean "recent" or "home", the only thing giving them meaning is their order. Even the triangle is so symmetric that it's not immediately clear when it's orientation changes.

The problem is that we read left to right, top to bottom, so in portrait mode we read the buttons as Back, Home, Recent. In landscape mode, however, they're reversed - Recent, Home, Back. This is, of course, how they've always been, but when the meaning of the buttons was more self evident, it was easier to follow when the order changed.

All that said, I personally don't mind the new buttons, but I do think they're a step backward in UI design, which should always prioritize intuitiveness over design, and I definitely see it being confusing to new and/or older users.
    ottscay and tonyr6 like this.

Global Posts
    6,430 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

I'm not sure I care about the shape of the buttons as long as they're the same (or close enough to be obviously recognizable) and in the same order on all devices.

Quote Originally Posted by ahaxton View Post
    You understand there is another smartphone platform out there which has had a circle home button since its very first phone sold in 2007, and they seem to be doing ok.
    the button is circular but guess what's inside it?

a square.
    --------------------------------------
    Nexus 5
    Nexus 7 2013
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast