Material theme
Activity transitions
View shadows
View elevation
RecycleView
CardVie
Path animations
Color extractor

No but if you would of read even the next sentence "The added APIs and new features are numerous..." you of noticed I acknowledged the unseen.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
No but if you would of read even the next sentence "The added APIs and new features are numerous..." you of noticed I acknowledged the unseen.

Indeed, and I don't think it's a criticism of you, but to clarify at I/O they were very specific that this was the largest change in terms of APIs introduced, etc. Sure, there are a ton of cosmetic changes too, but they've been reinventing Android at a very low level to make it better while simultaneously changing the UI to not only make phones and tablets better (they presume) but also work on TVs, cars, and watches. I don't know if they can pull it all off or not, but it feels to me like by far the largest update they've ever done so it must be a new point release, even before realizing that "L" = 50 (FWIW I've been watching since 2.2).

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
I guess it is the words being used that are making this confusing. Let me clarify what I mean alittle more. Android L has alot of new APIs and feature that are the largest "additions" to Android but the "changes" are mostly cosmetic.

To me "changes" are taking something that was there and changing it. Like how KK changed SD card access.

Maybe my understanding of "changes" and "additions" differ from the rest.

scipizoa

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
So far, with the exception of 1.x to 2.x, each integer increase has represented a spread to or change in the handling of a device type. 3.0 was tablets only (later used on Google TV), 4.0 unified tablets and phones, 5.0 would make sense with the spread to wear and the car. It begs the question of what 6.0 might spread to?

Healthcare i Hope.

Chex313

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Most of the changes with Android L are cosmetic. The added APIs and new features are numerous but none of what KitKat changed and brought to the table are being changed. You could literally take the KK and L updates and bundle them and neither would conflict. So to the user L seems huge so it is an easy point to embellish but KK was a much larger change to the inner working of the OS.

Not sure about most of you but the look of Android is not the most important element for me.
I have to disagree with you there. I could barely notice the diff between Jellybean and KK...Google Io listed far more changes from APi's to the whole flattening of the design. Its on par with ios 5 to ios 6.

That last keynote droned on forever with changes. You'll be able to run apps on Chrome, and they had me at CarPlay!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
So far (since 2010) moving between integers has represented expansion to new platforms. I'd be very surprised if this wasn't 5.0, but I have no idea what the L and 50 would have to do with anything... since that wasn't used in any letter combination so far.

I'm not sure that isn't confusing cause and effect, in that expanding to new platforms often required a large rethink of the UI and developer tools. But either way L both includes new platforms AND what Google has itself called its biggest release ever in terms of both UI and APIs, so it would be pretty surprising IMO if it weren't 5.0.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995