Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By tr-1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    90 Global Posts

Default L may fix KitKat SD Card Debacle

Looks like a new permission will be added and an app can request full sd card access.
    This is all I wanted. Phil & Jerry, feel free to update your 'kitkat sd card policy is good medicine for you' article.
    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...rm/14VUiIgwUjY
    (page 9)

Default Re: L may fix KitKat SD Card Debacle

Google must fix this if they want to have a robust Android One program. All those customers heavily rely on SD cards

God I REALLY REALLY hope so

Posted from my Nexus 7 2013 running Android L or Samsung galaxy S5

Finally. I hope it works out.
    Android was this powerful, flexible OS. With kitkat it just became a fancy brick like iphone which people show off but can never do anything good with.
    Just becuse nexus doesnot have a card does not mean that everyone is cool with it.
    I was quite disappointed that google had forgot what android was, when they made kitkat.
    There were big discussions regarding security & all agree that there should be a workaround rather than a rigid restriction.

I really hope they solve it in L.
    Btw some people have already flashed an L. Why not ask them ?

Quote Originally Posted by xperia2995 View Post
    With kitkat it just became a fancy brick like iphone which people show off but can never do anything good with.
    Just becuse nexus doesnot have a card does not mean that everyone is cool with it.
    Over exaggerate much?
    jpr likes this.

Finally!! Someone got hit with a clue stick! How soon can do you think Samsung will have the update for the Tab Pro?

Doesn't sound like an exaggeration to me. Nothing like buying a 10" tablet w/ 16 gig on board and advertised up to 64Gig removable storage, only to find that thanks to KitKat the removable storage is basically unusable. I mean we're so worried about apps leaving files on the removable card where they are easily manually deleted and/or just reformatted, but it's OK for apps to scatter files all over the limited non-removable storage? Or is this the week where security the justification for the change to removable SC card handling? How hard would it have been to introduce an integral Android handler that would manage all of the removable card access, rather than expect every individual app to allow requests to it's private storage space. Or maybe create a virtual file system or partition on the removable card where apps can use standard Unix style permissions and leave the rest of the card for shared files. There are so many ways things could have been more secured or organized without making the removable card unusable in so many instances
    Thanked by:

1)A choice for Linux style partition option must have been given to the users. This actually does solve all security problems
    2)Google itself announced that apps will never "leave behind garbage" once deleted. Yet internal is heavily cluttered even after uninstall.

Its strange what they advertise, and what they actually implement these days :o
    Wonder what they boast about L actually works, and what unadvertised secret trouble it is bringing.

You could root your phone to get the sd card rights back again. Rooting is harmless but can void the warranty.
    Last edited by xperia2995; 07-06-2014 at 02:20 AM.

Let's keep the lightweight comments about people having common sense at the door please.

Debate, discuss and answer questions but don't insult others.

Thank you
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.
    Thanked by 2:

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xperia2995 View Post
    You could root your phone to get the sd card rights back again. Rooting is harmless but can void the warranty.
    Yes there are simple workarounds if you have root access, but that vast majority of Android users don’t have this (and shouldn’t ever considering the security risk it poses), so it’s not a solution for most people.
    SD Card Access Changes for the Better in Android L | Androidheadlines.com

Why would it be a security risk? Easier for websites to plant malware on your phone?

Had no idea about this restriction in kit kat till I got Xiaomi MI3 and faced write issues...Thankfully there was a setting "Monitor app permission" and by switching off the setting, I am able to move files, create files and folders without any issues!!!
    Thanked by:

A new permission would be nice. But even if we get that I think other OEM's should follow HTC's example and provide their own file manager.

Posted via the Android Central App

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts

I really hope this happens.
    I am a current Windows Phone user with a Z3 Compact pre-ordered. I was always baffled at the fact that Google removed this from KitKat when Microsoft added the feature on WP8.1 (unfortunately, Nokia never added sd cards to flagships).
    On Windows Phone I always struggle with 32GB...and in those 32GB music and video aren't included because I simply can't have them on the phone otherwise the storage fills up. I've my 32GB almost filled...15GB of which are only apps. WINDOWS PHONE APPS!

So you can imagine the horror visions I already have going from a 32GB phone to a 11GB one but where the SD card is practically useless. I'll be VERY glad if Google does fix this on Android L. Very very happy.
    And although I don't like "Material Design" (yeah, I've had enough of it on Windows with the "Modern Design") I think I'll be able to bare with it if this comes back.