What do you guys think of Android Pay?

Do you think Android Pay will become the norm?

• Total voters

bigbluebanana

May 28, 2015
Visit site
At the Google I/O 2015 keynote, Google announced Android Pay, a replacement for the Google Wallet app to create an Android alternative for Apple Pay. It uses NFC (Near-Field Communication) to securely transfer a unique code that will complete the transaction without sharing any card details. Google has already teamed up with American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA. Plus, they have partnered with app developers to integrate Android Pay into apps such as Uber, Dunkin Donuts, Expedia, Chipotle, Etsy, Travelocity, and more. Plus, payments can be authorized by unlocking the phone OR by using a fingerprint sensor. (Plus native fingerprint support has been added so to make it easier for OEMs to integrate the capability)

Do you guys think that it will catch on? [Personally, I think it will] Will it give Apple Pay a run for it's money? What questions do you guys have?

So what do you guys think? Yea or Nae?

[SOURCES]

The Verge
Google IO Livestream

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Will it become a standard? I don't know, the battery on my crystal ball is dead. But if the question was about opinions of it, I'd respond with something close to your question.

I can swipe a credit or debit card from any of the big players in just about any store (and even in the street - there are microUSB card reader pluging for phones), so I can carry one card and know it'll work.

I'll use a phone pay system when it becomes that universal - when I can pay in Walmart or at a flea market using my phone. I'm not an early adopter - I like using proven technology. (I'm not a Luddite either - I spent my career inventing ways of doing things that "couldn't be done". A 400 foot bidirectional ribbon cable data bus? Wrapped in a channel with dirty power lines? Impossible in 1978. Until we invented it. [Thanks, TI, for making chips you never dreamed would be used for that purpose.])

But I don't update the minute an update is available, not knowing what bugs are in it, and I don't install 20 different payment methods in the hope that one of them will become the standard. When one does, I'll install it. (And it better be Tasker-aware, so it gets disabled when I'm not home, and only I can use it - or it's no better than leaving your credit card on a park bench.)

Michael Alan Goff

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
At the Google I/O 2015 keynote, Google announced Android Pay, a replacement for the Google Wallet app to create an Android alternative for Apple Pay. It uses NFC (Near-Field Communication) to securely transfer a unique code that will complete the transaction without sharing any card details. Google has already teamed up with American Express, Discover, MasterCard, and VISA. Plus, they have partnered with app developers to integrate Android Pay into apps such as Uber, Dunkin Donuts, Expedia, Chipotle, Etsy, Travelocity, and more. Plus, payments can be authorized by unlocking the phone OR by using a fingerprint sensor. (Plus native fingerprint support has been added so to make it easier for OEMs to integrate the capability)

Do you guys think that it will catch on? [Personally, I think it will] Will it give Apple Pay a run for it's money? What questions do you guys have?

So what do you guys think? Yea or Nae?

[SOURCES]

The Verge
Google IO Livestream

I think it will take off, but I don't see how it will "give Apple Pay a run for its money". They're both NFC payments. When one wins, we all win. And that's the best thing about standards. It doesn't have to be Apple Pay vs Samsung Pay vs Android Pay. We all win when one of us does.

chad783

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I like the idea that you can intergrate your rewards programs right into the payment method. Saves the headache of still carrying separate cards like the Coke demo at I/O. I like Wallet but the sticking point for me is that I can't go online and edit my reward cards like I used to. I have to use my phone. Using a web based site where I can link my online reward programs like Target Red Card. Also, if I can use department store cards or other 3rd party cards as far as payments would be nice. Like if I can go into Best Buy or Home Depot and use their card to pay for things instead it going through my credit/debit card from my bank. Once those start to open up, then it would be a true wallet replacement.

Geo Van

Sep 8, 2015
Visit site
Interesting and perspective idea, making life of active mobile users easier. But probably we will see something more interesting in payment industry in nearest future.

Frank999

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I think that in order for Android Pay to take off more retailers need to get involved. For example I found it very convenient to use google wallet at CVS for example. Then CVS decided to stop accepting wallet. Their excuse was they were going to come out with their proprietary payment system. Well it's been nearly a year and still no CVS payment system. Also 7-11 used to accept wallet but changed their card swiper/readers that don't accept wallet.
Also it would be nice if proprietary credit cards of retailers could be added to AP. For example many merchants require that you use their own cards in order to get discounts during their sales and promotions.

asherN

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
I think it would make more of n impact if they had gotten non-American banks on board. NFC payment is an accepted standard in Canada and Europe. Same with Apple Pay. My son lives in SF and has an iPhone6. He is very limited in it's use of ApplePay in the US, but can use it everywhere in Canada.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
The success of any NFC payment system will depend on a variety of factors. Banks and card processors have to buy in (we've seen the start of this already). Merchants will have to buy and install NFC compatible payment terminals. Consumer demand can drive this, but it is a chicken and the egg problem. Consumers will likely use NFC payments more when they have more opportunities to use it. More than likely the conversion will occur as the cost of new terminals is outweighed by the cost of credit card fraud. Systems like Samsung Pay (Loop) that simualate the magnetic card swipe don't by pass credit card skimmers. All that aside, Apple Pay can dominate but that leaves the huge market share represented by Android on the sidelines. This untapped market provides an incentive to bring Android users into the fold. Ultimately, I predict the success of any of these systems depends on the availability of compatible payment terminals and bundling mobile payments with rewards programs (use Android pay and get bonus miles on your credit card; by that I mean card issuers offer an incentive to use their card as opposed to a competitor's).

daihard2008

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
I must say it doesn't matter to me anymore. Unlike Google Wallet, Android Pay requires that your device not be rooted. That's the end of the story for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz