according to CNN, Google to acquire Motorola Mobility

woodbtreasures

May 14, 2010
Visit site
It means that Google now possesses all Motorola's patents to fight lawsuits as well as the ability to manufacture their own phone lines. This would definitely explain them unlocking future phones bootloaders!!

GenTsoChicken

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I know they stated in their Press Release they are keeping Android open but what are the chances that they actually close it and become a one platform one hardware mobile service like Apple and RIM? Wouldn't this be better for Android as a whole?

Gekko

Banned
May 15, 2010
Visit site
I know they stated in their Press Release they are keeping Android open but what are the chances that they actually close it and become a one platform one hardware mobile service like Apple and RIM? Wouldn't this be better for Android as a whole?

no. in the long run - open wins, closed loses.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
EDIT: Sale won't be final until late 2011/early 2012 per Google's PR. So we may not see stock Moto phones until early/mid next year unless they agreed to start building stuff for Google now. But the next Nexus is probably a lock for Moto.

Several big changes coming to Android:

- Blur is almost certainly dead. The Bionic might be the last Blur device unless Google wants to delay it to put stock Gingerbread on it (which would be sickkkkk)
- Google can now bundle their (formerly Moto's) patent library with their Google Apps for Android. This does a couple things - makes sure OEMs use Google Apps, and gives Google more power to regulate skins and stuff like that.
- Google is now an OEM. They can compete with Apple and others directly in hardware and software (as well as software as a service). People will now literally be able to buy a "Google phone" much like the iPhone is an "Apple phone"
- If I had to guess, Google will be much more forgiving with allowing people to root/ROM their phones than Moto is. We could really see an explosion of hacking support for new Moto devices.
- How will other OEMs like HTC and Samsung respond? They may not like Google providing their software and competing in hardware sales, but they may not have a choice. WP7 simply isn't a good enough competitor (right now). And besides, Nokia basically is a 1st party manufacturer so its hard to see them jumping the Android ship.

Man, I can not WAIT to get a stock, dual-core, LTE Moto/Google phone on Verizon this fall. I'll buy it unlocked, I don't care. MAKE IT HAPPEN GOOGLE! <3

Last edited:

matthew2109

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Wow, talk about waking up to news. This is huge. I still wonder if Google will think about buying RIM?

Sent from my Tbolt using Tapatalk

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Microsoft is rumored to be buying RIM. With this news, expect someone to jump on it soon. This might start a race.

RIM makes sense for Microsoft as they both focus pretty heavily on the business market. Welcome to the world of vertical integration.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
This is sorta good news!

I hope the first thing they do when they tke them over is axe Motoblur. Not a fan of that UI. If they release Moto phones with the stock Android only then I may look into their phones when my contract is up!

Either way its pretty good news. I just hope they treat the other companies really well. People like HTC and Samsung has done a lot for them. They still have others that release really good hardware and UI's.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Jesus guys, rim is not being bought out anytime soon. I would like to start the rumor that Kraft Foods is buying Apple. Go internet!!

Google did this strictly for the patents, not to have their own manufacturing wing. Hopefully this doesn't intimidate htc and samsung.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Jesus guys, rim is not being bought out anytime soon. I would like to start the rumor that Kraft Foods is buying Apple. Go internet!!

Google did this strictly for the patents, not to have their own manufacturing wing. Hopefully this doesn't intimidate htc and samsung.

Don't worry, HTC and Samsung will be ok considering Google is still going to support Android as an open source and these two companies are well established.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

You are so wrong. You know patents can be bought and sold alone right? Do you really think they bought a manufacturing sect and make a OS that can be implemented, but have no plans or desires too? They just wanted the patents? No sir, I disagree to the very core of your statement. I do think the deep patents were a driving force though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital