Android Pay on the G3

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
The update to Wallet came through today and I set it up, only to realize that it does not allow knock code...Only PIN, pattern or password. Thing is, now my device no longer seems to like the "trusted locations" feature I have set up. Has anyone else had this problem? Seriously thinking about taking my cards off AP and not bothering with it anymore.

Posted via the Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Apparently Android Pay requires a secure lockscreen in order for it to work. It makes sense (at least to me) that it would, too, disable trusted locations to avoid having your Pay system 'unlocked' anywhere. Here's more on this (and plenty of discussion going around it).
If you're using Android Pay, don't plan on using a third-party lock screen | Android Central

Someone in the Forums also suggested resetting your Trusted Certificates if Knock Code wasn't working, but can't remember if that was to get it back after installing Wallet.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
As much as I liked google wallet, android pay sucks.

Thinking seriously of pulling android pay.

What was even worse it updated without me doing anything.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
It only updates if you set your Play Store options to auto update apps (although I have a feeling it would eventually just either ask to update or stop working as Google Wallet as it is right now is soon to be outdated and not supported anymore).

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think I'm going to let it remove my card. I can only put my credit card on there anyway and I try not to use it that much. My other card is an ATM (PIN only) card, which is not supported. I intentionally do not get the standard "check cards"that don't require PIN entry in order to make purchases.

Bob61

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Due to forced need to put in pin code each time to unlock phone I've decided to let it remove my cards and go back to old lock screen. The need to constantly type in a pin outweighs any benefit of using for payment. I can just as easily pull out my credit card as I could my phone. I don't see android pay being a success.

TWC42

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Before giving up on Android Pay because of the lock screen requirement, try the "pattern". IMHO, it's easier than the knock code if you use the minimum pattern (4 spots). Then set the time out to the maximum 30 minutes

lumei 920

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
I tried adding my credit card and got this error message instead:

"Looks like another app is blocking access to Wallet. Turn off any apps that might be drawing over the screen and try again"

Oh well, back to app drawer you go!

KeepItReal

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
You know, in Europe their physical credit cards use the embedded chip AND require a PIN - significantly reducing fraud. In the US, most replacement cards are implementing the chip, but not with a PIN requirement, minimizing the reduction of fraud. When you use these electronic payment systems, Android Pay, Apple Pay, etc, there is built in security that exceeds the even physical card with chip PIN used in Europe. Credit card numbers do not electronically get passed to the vendor; the recent hacking of Target, Home Depot and Jimmie John's to name a few would not of been as severe if these NFC based pay systems were used, as these stores would not have any credit card numbers to be 'stolen'. In addition, these electronic payment systems change the 3-digit code on the back of all our cards for each transaction, therefore no transaction could ever be duplicated from a store purchase. We are, however, very dependant on the security of our information with the security of Apple, Google, etc., as well as the tracking of that still important marketing data they will be compiling. The use of secure fingerprint, passcode, password only enhances your security, and IMHO, worth it.

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I have the Target debit card and the replacement they just sent me is a chip and PIN...no magnetic stripe at all.

I've actually decided to keep my credit card on with a pattern code and a thirty minute timeout. While I still wish it would allow for my knock code instead of the pattern (I can unlock it without having to wake the phone up first), it's not too big a hassle.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol