why does Apple Pay have over 500 participating banks while Android Pay has only 10 banks?

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
why does Apple Pay have over 500 participating banks while Android Pay has only 10 banks?

I really can't figure that one out. Did those 490 banks(500 minus 10) not hear about Android Pay? :(

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Not following your question. Android Pay supports almost all credit and debit cards and has additional support built in for those extra 10 banks. An example of that support is less required utilization of your unlock security method. Both Android and Apply Pay support approximately the same volume of cards and both are accepted at approximately 700,000 locations. There is almost no difference in which cards you can use and where they will work.

badkitties

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Not following your question. Android Pay supports almost all credit and debit cards and has additional support built in for those extra 10 banks. An example of that support is less required utilization of your unlock security method. Both Android and Apply Pay support approximately the same volume of cards and both are accepted at approximately 700,000 locations. There is almost no difference in which cards you can use and where they will work.

oh, then I must have it confused... Apple Pay's website lists hundreds of different banks and credit unions. Android Pay website doesn't have such a list(other than those 10 or 11)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Ah, there is a difference in how Android Pay handles "support" versus Apple and Samsung. Apple and Samsung need a specific agreement with the individual bank. Google supports unsupported banks. According to our genius, Andrew Martonik, "And because Google knows that it doesn't support enough banks right now, you actually do have the ability to add unsupported cards, though with the caveat that it'll require an extra PIN code when making a payment and Google can't guarantee that your card issuer will be able to offer you rewards and points for purchases." I can vouch for the fact that my cards are not on the supported list, but they do work.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Will the unsupported banks stop working? I keep hearing Andrew on the podcast saying to not expect the previous way to work.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance