Android Pay not widely accepted?

KMorganBbry

May 7, 2016
Visit site
Only place I have gotten it to work is at 7-11. Tried at PetCo and it gets stuck in an endless loop asking for a pin code. Isn't offered as a payment option at any of the grocery stores (Giant, Safeway, ShopRite, Shoppers) that I use nor Wawa, Target, Staples, etc.

Most of thos places accept Apple Pay, just not Android Pay.

Is there any active plan to expand its reach and fix glitches? (latest app patch didnt help with the endless pin code loop).
(Am not using a Samsung so cant use Samsung Pay)...

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Any place I've been to that has an Apple Pay logo has accepted Android Pay (even if there was no Android Pay logo on the machine).

Which phone do you have? Do you have Smart Lock turned on? If so, try turning it off and see if Android Pay works more smoothly. My Zenfone 2 on SmartLock tended to require repeated pattern lock entries, compared to my Nexus 6P with fingerprint unlock (which has been flawless).

KMorganBbry

May 7, 2016
Visit site
the only lock I have is the 4 digit pin that using android pay requires. works great at 7-11, just nowhere else so far. not at rite aid, shoprite, nor home depot or lowes nor target, etc.

it sucks

KMorganBbry

May 7, 2016
Visit site
turns out its a glitch in the app causing the pin loop plus the fact that many places in my area still arent set up to accept android/samsung pay

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I just received an update to the Android Pay app, so maybe they addressed some of your problems. And it's odd, because I've always been under the impression that if a place accepts Apple Pay, then Android Pay should work there as well.

jchapman01

May 8, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that Google will send me an alert when I'm at or near a place that takes Android pay.

Haven't found a 7-11 that takes it yet tho.

Last edited:

DroidFromVA

Nov 2, 2015
Visit site
Outside of Murica, their stores do take NFC payments. All the stores I've seen around here are now using Pin/Chip readers and no NFC. In this country, the company was backing CurrentC for mobile payments, which never went anywhere and is now defunct as of this month. That means the company will be moving forward with adopting another solution, company-wide. I don't think they will jump on the bandwagon for NFC in the regard, at least not while the cost of upgrading terminals is an obstacle. From what I've seen, many stores just - in the last three years - replaced their older terminals with Pin/Chip ones that don't have NFC, which means it may be some time before we see it widely accepted.

popartist

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
the only lock I have is the 4 digit pin that using android pay requires. works great at 7-11, just nowhere else so far. not at rite aid, shoprite, nor home depot or lowes nor target, etc.

it sucks

I have used Android Pay several times at Rite Aid with no problem. Also my local Foodtown, Whole Foods, Dunkin Donuts, Century 21 Department Store, and other spots. I use it more than not these days! Only place that I think takes Apple Pay that I couldn't use it at was Target (didn't try because I thought they were trying to develop their own pay app anyway).

HeadOffice

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I used to use it everywhere! Even on my old Nexus 6 with having to enter a PIN every time I want to use it - it's still so convenient. Last couple of weeks it's stopped working in every cab I've taken in New York City. I asked the drivers and they tell me they've turned off the NFC reading capability and you must swipe or insert the chip card - Bummer...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz