Anti-virus required?

emiinn

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Are you guys using an anti-virus (if yes, which one?)? Or do you think it's completely "scareware" for android users?

james27007

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
There are viruses out there but most of them come from downloading and installing apps from the internet. 99% of the time the apps on Google Play are safe (read the reviews, that will tell). But every once in a while, one gets through; it tends to be more of an issue with the Amazon app store though. I personally use Norton & Lookout, if anything Lookout has a find device feature..

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Are you guys using an anti-virus (if yes, which one?)? Or do you think it's completely "scareware" for android users?

I use AVG on my phone and Norton on my tablet. It isn't scareware, there are no checks of apps that we download other than, as James27007 said, read the reviews to see if it has a history and folks like it. But sooner or later, something comes along and you'll be downloading from someplace other than the playstore and it's reassuring to see the download being checked and declared safe.

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I use AVG Anti-virus. I like the concept behind alerting me to when the SIM card is changed in the phone, but I switch SIM cards so often that it gets annoying at times. I'm sure that I could turn this off, but I want to have it on just in case the wrong thing happens one day.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I used Avast for a while on my Note 2 (when I had one). It was overkill for how I use my devices.

Nexuscillin. The cure for iOS.

amcjavelinsst

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I use avast on my GN2. It's as easy and non-obtrusive as it gets. Use it on my M18x laptop as well. I figure I need to use something for peace of mind at least. And Avast gets the big tick from me as it does not force its way in your face.

Cheers all

Sent from my GT-N7105T using AC Forums mobile app

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Google has a built in app checker. Just go in settings and check it. Lookout is the only thing you need it was designed for Mobil platforms. All the other ones are PC based jumping on android bandwagon and throw scare tactics to android users with fear. There are handful of articles pointing its scareware.
I use AVG on my phone and Norton on my tablet. It isn't scareware, there are no checks of apps that we download other than, as James27007 said, read the reviews to see if it has a history and folks like it. But sooner or later, something comes along and you'll be downloading from someplace other than the playstore and it's reassuring to see the download being checked and declared safe.

Sent from Bad Azz VZW LG G2 Cyan Tapatalk

Dronak

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I think Lookout was pre-installed on my Sprint Note 3, so I don't have much choice there. I also have TrustGo at the moment, but I'm wondering if I should remove that since the phone comes with Lookout. I think there are some differences in features, so keeping both could be helpful in some ways, but it might be a little overkill. As noted, the Google Play Store is generally safe, so you should have little to worry about if you stick to getting your apps there (which I do, generally).

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
What do you mean with overkill?
Overkill. I only install apps from the Play Store and don't frequent questionable websites. Avast is powerful medicine, but if it takes any resources whatsoever, it's overkill for me, as I'm not doing anything that wold put me at risk, experience has shown.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Don't bother with anti-virus... those companies are just preying on people's fear and lack of knowledge.

Just don't go around installing a bunch of unknown apps and you'll be fine.

Posted via Android Central App

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I use Lookout. It seems to be about the least resource needy. I can't stand Macaffee or Norton. Much like their computer counterpart they are far too bloated and resource intensive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindagibney