Anti-virus required?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Protected from what? Stop being paranoid... take off the "protection".

Posted via Android Central App

There is Android malware, this has been proven. The question is whether being careful is protection enough. So far IME it has been but ignorance tends to be bliss.

from my '14 Note 10.1

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I've never used anti virus on any android device I've had.

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Beantown Bashers

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
If you are confident NOT using some form of protection for your computer or smartphone, good luck with that....but you should not discourage people who inquire with legitimate concerns. NOBODY wants to hear you say to them AFTER they get a virus, OH sorry but it never happened to me. Ever hear this one before? Do not worry he does not bite!! two minutes later it's, but this has never happened before.......

I have been on the internet and using smartphones for more than 2yrs.

1. You should have something that alerts you to activity that is not normal on your computer or smartphone.

2. IF an app wants privileges to sensitive information that it should not have....DON'T INSTALL IT, I have heard too many people say, but it's a really nice feature and download the app! DO NOT DO AUTOMATIC UPDATES. You should READ what permission the app wants. a screen saver should not need to know my exact location and read my phone log or be able to email or call my contacts!

3. Do not listen to people that mock you for trying to protect your privacy and using precautions. Take care of your device in the manner that you feel best suits you.

4. I love MY Galaxy Note 3 (Verizon) It was worth the wait.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
If you are confident NOT using some form of protection for your computer or smartphone, good luck with that....but you should not discourage people who inquire with legitimate concerns. NOBODY wants to hear you say to them AFTER they get a virus, OH sorry but it never happened to me. Ever hear this one before? Do not worry he does not bite!! two minutes later it's, but this has never happened before.......

1. You should have something that alerts you to activity that is not normal on your computer or smartphone.

2. IF an app wants privileges to sensitive information or that it should not have....DON'T INSTALL IT, I have heard too many people say, but it's a really nice feature and download the app! DO NOT DO AUTOMATIC UPDATES. You should READ what permission the app wants. a screen saver should not need to know my exact location and read my phone log or be able to email or call my contacts!

3. Do not listen to people that mock you for trying to protect your privacy and using precautions. Take care of your device in the manner that you feel best suits you.

I agree, and it just depends on the person using the device and how savvy they are with it. My mother is just about to upgrade to a real smartphone finally, and I have to give her some form of tech support at least once a week. I'll probably have her slap something on just so she doesn't have to call me as much with any issues she's having, lol. Then there's the week it will take to show her how to use it, haha.

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
just because your house has never been on fire doesn't mean you shouldn't install smoke alarms - especially if they're free.

Just because you can buy insurance to compensate you in case a flock of pink flamingos decide to steal your car by flying away with it... doesn't mean you should... *rolleyes*

crester

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

2. IF an app wants privileges to sensitive information that it should not have....DON'T INSTALL IT, I have heard too many people say, but it's a really nice feature and download the app! DO NOT DO AUTOMATIC UPDATES. You should READ what permission the app wants. a screen saver should not need to know my exact location and read my phone log or be able to email or call my contacts!

Don't Spread paranoia... getting a virus on your PC and on your phone are two completely different scenarios.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree, and it just depends on the person using the device and how savvy they are with it. My mother is just about to upgrade to a real smartphone finally, and I have to give her some form of tech support at least once a week. I'll probably have her slap something on just so she doesn't have to call me as much with any issues she's having, lol. Then there's the week it will take to show her how to use it, haha.

Even the most savvy can find their devices infected with malicious items.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I don't use any anti-virus. I use lookout just in case I misplace my phone. Don't download any suspicious apps and you'll be alright.

Sent from my SM-N900T using AC Forums mobile app

21stNow

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone here gotten a virus on their phone? If so, please let me know what it did to your phone.

I haven't, but I've been using anti-virus apps since day one. I do have a co-worker that didn't think that a phone would need an anti-virus app. I saw some questionable files on his phone that he downloaded from a place that I would not have with or without AV. He had problems with the phone rebooting, freezing and a ton of other things that it should not do. I know that there were users that reported problems with the Thunderbolt, but I think that his were caused by the user. He had the Thunderbolt replaced more times than I could count, then went to another phone (I think it was the Bionic).

As far as I know, he never used an anti-virus app and continued with the questionable file downloads. Now he wants an iPhone because he thinks that it will be more stable. I have told him that he can't just download everything that he sees on the internet and to treat it like a desktop computer, but I don't think that he is listening to me.

titaniumSS

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
I haven't, but I've been using anti-virus apps since day one. I do have a co-worker that didn't think that a phone would need an anti-virus app. I saw some questionable files on his phone that he downloaded from a place that I would not have with or without AV. He had problems with the phone rebooting, freezing and a ton of other things that it should not do. I know that there were users that reported problems with the Thunderbolt, but I think that his were caused by the user. He had the Thunderbolt replaced more times than I could count, then went to another phone (I think it was the Bionic).

As far as I know, he never used an anti-virus app and continued with the questionable file downloads. Now he wants an iPhone because he thinks that it will be more stable. I have told him that he can't just download everything that he sees on the internet and to treat it like a desktop computer, but I don't think that he is listening to me.

Some people are just too stubborn to listen to good advice. That is why places like Geek Squad are still in business, lol.

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

You don't know for a fact if the questionable files caused the issue, but I do understand your concern.

Have you ever heard of anyone getting a virus from downloading from the playstore?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcosVo