1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I think I downloaded malware.

Recently I've been getting a bunch of MMS messages with 2KB files attached. I delete them immediately, I'm not an *****. Unfortunately my finger slipped while I was looking at the latest one and I inadvertently downloaded it. The entire conversation thread disappeared immediately with no signs that anything had happened.

Clearly this isn't good. If it was malware (and it undoubtedly was), Avast and MBAM didn't find it. I'm concerned that I'm now in some kind of botnet, or there's a keylogger just waiting to steal all kinds of crazy crap. Should I revert to factory settings? Take it into the dealer? Panic? I have no idea what I'm doing.

Additionally, I took it into the nearest Verizon store, where a gentleman looked at it for 30 seconds before determining that there were no problems. I don't really know though. Anyone have any input?

Default Re: I think I downloaded malware.

make sure you've got any important info backed up (documents, photos, etc) and do a complete factory reset. This will wipe your phone and restore it to factory stock (like it just came out of the box). Yes you'll lose your SMS, saved games, and that sort of thing, but all things considered it's a small price to pay. Or if you want you could download SMS Backup and Restore from the Play store. I use that to keep my texts backed up
    "I can only see half of what's going on
    But i'm alright
    'Cause I can still smile"

Wide Mouth Mason - Smile
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

There's really nothing valuable on my phone that I can't just redownload or transfer again, but it's going to be a pain changing all my settings back to the way they are now. Think there's any rush on this, or can I put it off for now? I'm really not sure how potent this thing is.

super backup is free and backups texts and conversations also.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Some dude on Reddit told me there was nothing to be concerned about, saying (and I quote): "That doesn't sound like malware to me. 2kb is tiny, certainly a file that small can't be an apk, and if it was an apk you'd have had to actively install it for anything bad to happen. I doubt you have much to worry about in all honesty.". Additionally, another user stated that "You are fine. There is no possibly way you can have any sort of malware unless you installed it yourself (through the install screen), that's just the way android works."

Any merit to these?

Anything is possible. Save yourself the stress and reset the phone.
    Pat
    Nook Color - CM10.1 ( Jelly Bean 4.2.2) on eMMC
    Google Galaxy Nexus - stock Jelly Bean 4.3
    Galaxy Nexus 10 - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Galaxy Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) - stock KitKat 4.4.2
    Chromecast
    Nexus 5 - stock KitKat 4.4.2

I'm paranoid. Had I the slightest doubt: A factory reset it would be.