Nexus 4: Boot virus

PlusJack

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I got a virus while flashing the "Franco Kernel" from this app. It said something along the lines of "No turning back now, enjoy your new virus!" Now when I start my phone up it loads the "Google" screen then goes to a blue screen with purple lines running over it and no way to boot into Cyanogenmod.
My question is how can I get rid of this and restore Cyanogenmod 11 to my phone using Clockworkmod Recovery (which I can boot into). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt one of the most reputable kernel developers in the Android community bundled his app with a virus. On top of that, it would have to make it past Google's scans of the app for malicious content. This is very strange though...have you tried booting into fastboot and pushing the stock files to get you up and running?

PlusJack

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I got a virus while flashing the "Franco Kernel" from this app. It said something along the lines of "No turning back now, enjoy your new virus!" Now when I start my phone up it loads the "Google" screen then goes to a blue screen with purple lines running over it and no way to boot into Cyanogenmod.
My question is how can I get rid of this and restore Cyanogenmod 11 to my phone using Clockworkmod Recovery (which I can boot into). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Whoops, that was pretty fast. Looks like all I had to do was flash Cyanogenmod again. At least this thread is here for anyone who has this problem.

PlusJack

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I highly doubt one of the most reputable kernel developers in the Android community bundled his app with a virus. On top of that, it would have to make it past Google's scans of the app for malicious content. This is very strange though...what device do you have and on what carrier?

Well basically the app itself isn't a virus, but when you go to install the latest Franco Kernel via the app it downloads a .zip file. I went into Clockworkmod, flashed it, and boom. It said "Thanks for installing the virus. Allyourbasearebelongtous." Then this happened. I doubt it's the app makers fault but rather wherever he gets the updates for it.

EDIT: I still have the .zip on my phone if you want to see it.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
If you downloaded the zip from Franco 's App and installed through recovery there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I flash from the App and don't do recovery, so can't say of the message you received in recovery is malicious or not. It is not uncommon for developers to have script or text that displays custom wording when flashing from a recovery. I'd say there was another issue that perhaps conflicted during the boot process. Good to see you got it running again.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

PlusJack

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
If you downloaded the zip from Franco 's App and installed through recovery there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I flash from the App and don't do recovery, so can't say of the message you received in recovery is malicious or not. It is not uncommon for developers to have script or text that displays custom wording when flashing from a recovery. I'd say there was another issue that perhaps conflicted during the boot process. Good to see you got it running again.

I thought the message was just a joke at first, but when it booted like that I figured it was kind of safe to say it was not working properly and of course I would think it was a virus (as that's what it said.)

No worries now I guess, but I was kind of wanting that kernel. Oh well. :-\

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Franco incompatible with CM, as far as I know unless there were recent changes. Try flashing r32 from within the App or manually with Fastboot.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one01