How do you enable the Android Device Manager Guide?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
[Guide] Android Device Manager

What is "Android Device Manager?"

If you lose your Android device associated with your Google Account, Android Device Manager can help you find, lock, and erase it. This can be very useful in case you have information on your phone that you wouldn't want others to have in their hands in the event your device is stolen or lost. It can also help find a lost device due to the location tracking that is also apart of this tool.

How would you enable Android Device Manager?

Note: For devices running 4.1 and higher, location access must also be enabled. To turn it on, go to Google Settings > Location > Access location.

You can enable Android Device Manager by following the steps below.

1. Go to your settings and then to security.
2. From there choose "Device Administrators"
3. From there you select the "Android Device Manager". Please note it will show permissions such as location and being able to wipe the device but it will only utilize this permission when you login to the Website and initiate the request.

(All shown below)

Okay it is enabled on my device... Now what?

Now you can navigate to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager and login. Once logged in you can GPS your device, lock your device remotely, and wipe it if needed. (Also shown below in a screenshot)

I hope this helps and if you have any questions please ask them below! :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2014-03-19-12-58-09.jpg
    Screenshots_2014-03-19-12-58-09.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshots_2014-03-19-12-58-18.jpg
    Screenshots_2014-03-19-12-58-18.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshots_2014-03-19-12-58-26.jpg
    Screenshots_2014-03-19-12-58-26.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 91
  • devicemanager.png
    devicemanager.png
    388.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited by a moderator:

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Android Device Manager

You can also use the Android device manager app from the play store instead of using the website

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Installed on both my Nexus 5 and Moto X. The part I like best is I can remote wipe just by going into my computer which is always signed into Google.

ibbao

Mar 19, 2014
Visit site

I have it on my nexus 4, its pretty good that its activated by default on my nexus. A friend of mine had a samsung and it got stolen. The ADM was not activated so he could no wipe the device :(

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I never fully looked at it after installing some weeks ago. I knew most features were available on Lookout which I have always used as anti-virus. I read this a few days ago and tried again.
Of all the 2 platform apps this is dead easy. I don't need to remember passwords or save them on my email accounts. I just log in from any PC as I remember my Google account easily.
3 simple options after activating on the phone.
A no brainer. Really good.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

I never fully looked at it after installing some weeks ago. I knew most features were available on Lookout which I have always used as anti-virus. I read this a few days ago and tried again.
Of all the 2 platform apps this is dead easy. I don't need to remember passwords or save them on my email accounts. I just log in from any PC as I remember my Google account easily.
3 simple options after activating on the phone.
A no brainer. Really good.

Via my Note 3 on AC.

Agreed! Google did a good job with the device manager :).

Sent from my T-Mobile Note 3 using AC Forums.

android jack

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site

This is great tool to locate a lost device, even if it's lost within your home. So many times I could of locate the phone by call but always have mine on vibrate. This rings the phone even on vibrate.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using AC Forums mobile app

richlaustx

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

I have followed all the steps to install and activate Android Device Manager however it only works when I have phone wifi turned on and the phone is connected to a wifi network.
I have installed and and uninstalled the app several times with no success. With phone wifi on ADM from my computer finds the phone easily and accurately. With phone wifi turned off ADM does not find the phone at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I have followed all the steps to install and activate Android Device Manager however it only works when I have phone wifi turned on and the phone is connected to a wifi network.
I have installed and and uninstalled the app several times with no success. With phone wifi on ADM from my computer finds the phone easily and accurately. With phone wifi turned off ADM does not find the phone at all. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Do you have mobile data enabled when you turn off wifi?

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Please help ........ I installed hyd52romv5 went great .... then I wanted to install hyd52romv7KK and there I made a mistake I forgot TWRP update and now my phone does not start it displays only the HUAWEI ASCEND when I hold one of button sound - + so my boots up ANDROID SYSTEM RECOVERY and there I
roboot system now
aply updates from external storage
wipe data factory reset
wipe cache partition
aply updates from cache

I tried already to install to SD CARD dload other ROM but does not begin to install everything be ok there and the item MODULE SYSTEM stop and restart. And again the Huawei Ascen window. Please help me ..... how will restart the old rom?? (email removed by Moderator)

You might have a better chance of getting a response if you post your question in the right category.

vcr.magri

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

I lost my phone once and luckily I had already enabled this before. Android device manager should come enabled by default..

Denese Jordon

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site

I downloaded the Android Device Manager from my computer and I'm guessing it sent something to my Galaxy Tab 3 Lite right... if it is stolen how am I supposed to activate it? Now I feel as though the thief knows I'm trying to track it.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I downloaded the Android Device Manager from my computer and I'm guessing it sent something to my Galaxy Tab 3 Lite right... if it is stolen how am I supposed to activate it? Now I feel as though the thief knows I'm trying to track it.
Did it show it was searching for the Tab 3. Was it listed as a device for your Google account when you logged in to Android Device Manager on a pc?