Who can't wait for fingerprint scanners on their phone?

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
In order to be able to verify your ID by your fingerprint it needs to be stored somewhere* for comparison with your input. If your fingerprint is stored somewhere then it can be hacked and accessed by undesirables. Who can subsequently do whatever they like with your phone.
Just like passwords and iris scans are stored beyond your control and can be hacked.

In other words adding fingerprint technology increases technical complexity and cost, which the user pays for, but it doesn't really increase the user's security!
So fingerprint technology is de facto just marketing hype.

And what are you going to do when it turns out that that database has been hacked? Change your fingerprint...?
Passwords can be changed. Fingerprints can't.

*probably on your phone, with a backup in someone's cloud (but not yours), like the Play Store.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
In order to be able to verify your ID by your fingerprint it needs to be stored somewhere* for comparison with your input. If your fingerprint is stored somewhere then it can be hacked and accessed by undesirables. Who can subsequently do whatever they like with your phone.
Just like passwords and iris scans are stored beyond your control and can be hacked.

In other words adding fingerprint technology increases technical complexity and cost, which the user pays for, but it doesn't really increase the user's security!
So fingerprint technology is de facto just marketing hype.

And what are you going to do when it turns out that that database has been hacked? Change your fingerprint...?
Passwords can be changed. Fingerprints can't.

*probably on your phone, with a backup in someone's cloud (but not yours), like the Play Store.
There's a lot of discussion on the forum related to fingerprint scanners - pros, cons, personal preference, etc. There's always going to be something new and right now this seems to be a security feature manufacturers are pushing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am looking forward to it. Yes, any technology can be hacked. The main reason for me is in the event that a common thief steals my phone that it would provide a level of protection against identity theft. Fingerprint scanner is more convenient to me than the others. On my wife's iPhone, I just press it to unlock.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I am looking forward to it. Yes, any technology can be hacked. The main reason for me is in the event that a common thief steals my phone that it would provide a level of protection against identity theft. Fingerprint scanner is more convenient to me than the others. On my wife's iPhone, I just press it to unlock.

But once your fingerprint (access) is hacked what are you going to do? You can't change your fingerprint (or iris). You can change your password.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
But once your fingerprint (access) is hacked what are you going to do? You can't change your fingerprint (or iris). You can change your password.

If you are that worried, then don't use fingerprint scanner.

I mean if someone really wanted my fingerprint, they can just follow me around and wait until I touch something and lift the print. I guess I could wear gloves all the time, but it isn't that high off a concern for me.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
If you are that worried, then don't use fingerprint scanner.

Of course. Until e.g. federally mandated. Because they'll want to make sure exactly who they are monitoring in "the war on terror".
Meanwhile the customer does pay for technology he doesn't want in his mobile device. Not just in dollars and cents. But in all sorts of other consequences too. Like design, size, weight, power consumption, added fragility, etc. etc.

I mean if someone really wanted my fingerprint, they can just follow me around and wait until I touch something and lift the print.

Of course 'they' could. But they won't. Too labor intensive. Too time consuming. Too little cost-effectiveness: just one smartphone user, you.
But if they hack the fingerprint cloud they have millions upon millions of fingerprints in their power, and access to their associated mobile devices. Including yours.
The collective damage would be horrifying.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Of course. Until e.g. federally mandated. Because they'll want to make sure exactly who they are monitoring in "the war on terror".
Meanwhile the customer does pay for technology he doesn't want in his mobile device. Not just in dollars and cents. But in all sorts of other consequences too. Like design, size, weight, power consumption, added fragility, etc. etc.

Of course 'they' could. But they won't. Too labor intensive. Too time consuming. Too little benefit: just one smartphone user, you.
But if they hack the fingerprint cloud they have millions upon millions of fingerprints in their power, and access to their associated mobile devices. Including yours.
The damage would be horrifying.

The fingerprint is only used for unlocking the device. It doesn't give them access just by having it...I'm sure that if someone wanted access to your phone, they could do it regardless of what your lock screen uses for security.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
The fingerprint is only used for unlocking the device. It doesn't give them access just by having it...I'm sure that if someone wanted access to your phone, they could do it regardless of what your lock screen uses for security.

You're missing the point. 'They' are not after you. 'They' are not after me. Not worth it.
But they are after all of us! Collectively. That's worth more than gold.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Of course 'they' could. But they won't. Too labor intensive. Too time consuming. Too little cost-effectiveness: just one smartphone user, you.
The collective damage would be horrifying.

The fingerprint is only stored on the cpu not on the cloud , and also it isn't the actual fingerprint that is being stored but is converted into a chunk of data.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
The fingerprint is only used for unlocking the device.

Once you start that, and build the capability in all high-end models, thousands of apps will sprout to use fingerprint reading as their security/identifying system. You know that too.
It will be faaar from "only used for unlocking the device". It will be ubiquitous.

It doesn't give them access just by having it...

Excuse me? Isn't controlling access the whole point of fingerprint technology?

I'm sure that if someone wanted access to your phone, they could do it regardless of what your lock screen uses for security.

Again, that is nonsensical. There is no point in going after individual people when you can get the same kind of info and access of many millions of fingerprint scanner users. James Bond is funny, entertaining, and very suave, but he is not cost-effective. He is far too expensive in a cost-benefit audit.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
The fingerprint is only stored on the cpu not on the cloud,

They would say that, wouldn't they?

and also it isn't the actual fingerprint that is being stored but is converted into a chunk of data.

A.k.a. a data string, an encryption by algorithm, bits & bytes in specific patterns and sequences. Stored and accessible. And actually accessed every time you swipe again. Just a matter of time before that's cracked. But with a cloud they won't need to.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I would very much rather have a dual or even triple verification process. Now, having certain pieces of technology would override some of the verification processes. Say a smartwatch would take the place of one, and say an NFC tag as another, with a strong password as the third.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Then use a dumbphone. Simple solution. No need to send any personal data anywhere that way, except for the phone numbers (and location in some of those) of the phone you're using and the number you're contacting. Wait, they can then use that to track you. Bad idea. Just don't use a phone at all.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Again, that is nonsensical. There is no point in going after individual people when you can get the same kind of info and access of many millions of fingerprint scanner users. James Bond is funny, entertaining, and very suave, but he is not cost-effective. He is far too expensive in a cost-benefit audit.

Actually, they would probably just steal the smartphone, attempt to pull your data, and if they can't, sell the device on the black market.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Actually, they would probably just steal the smartphone, attempt to pull your data, and if they can't, sell the device on the black market.

If 'they' is the two-bit punk next-door. Sure.
If 'they' are feds or hackers they couldn't care less about your individual phone. 'They' are only interested in cracking millions of phones – including yours and mine – at the same time. And their collectively stored fingerprints are the prize. Collectively stored fingerprints are the 'X' on the treasure map.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If 'they' is the two-bit punk next-door. Sure.
If 'they' are feds or hackers they couldn't care less about your individual phone. 'They' are only interested in cracking millions of phones ? including yours and mine ? at the same time. And their collectively stored fingerprints are the prize. Collectively stored fingerprints are the 'X' on the treasure map.

Why would they want your fingerprints? I'm sure they already have the prints of all of the people who buy smartphones

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
"They" already have all the fingerprints of people that go to Disney theme parks. That's A LOT of people. lol

"They" already know everything about us. No need to gather our fingerprints.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
"They" already have all the fingerprints of people that go to Disney theme parks. That's A LOT of people. lol

"They" already know everything about us. No need to gather our fingerprints.

Anyone with a driver's license...