Who can't wait for fingerprint scanners on their phone?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Then use a dumbphone. Simple solution. No need to send any personal data anywhere that way, except for the phone numbers (and location in some of those) of the phone you're using and the number you're contacting. Wait, they can then use that to track you. Bad idea. Just don't use a phone at all.

If one was the worried about tracking, don't go outdoors either, they can track you by satellite.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If 'they' is the two-bit punk next-door. Sure.
If 'they' are feds or hackers they couldn't care less about your individual phone. 'They' are only interested in cracking millions of phones ? including yours and mine ? at the same time. And their collectively stored fingerprints are the prize. Collectively stored fingerprints are the 'X' on the treasure map.

The government already has my fingerprint, as they probably do with most Americans. Even if I didn't use fingerprint scanning, they can steal government database.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know the government has my prints. When I applied for a securities license, and when I applied for the military.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
They have my prints for a not so honorable reason. KO'd a guy on the Vegas strip....sigh

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Fingerprint scanner is a selling gimmick. My PIN is more secure technically. Fingerprint scanner is not a big deal

Posted via Android Central App

Fr0gburp3r

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Passwords, PIN's and patterns can easy be seen if they look over your shoulder when unlocking your device. Fingerprint scanners takes that risk factor out.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
"They" already know everything about us. No need to gather our fingerprints.

Of course there is! They need to associate and confirm (each of) your new mobile device(s) with you! As well as what you do with/on it. Your fingerprint scanner does that for them. A couple dozen times a day.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Of course there is! They need to associate and confirm (each of) your new mobile device(s) with you! As well as what you do with/on it. Your fingerprint scanner does that for them. A couple dozen times a day.

Yeah, because the account isn't already associated with you

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
No thanks. I have no desire for my fingerprint to be stored somewhere on someone's server. The idea is cool, I guess.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

And location, and browsing habits, and forum usernames, and phone numbers, and call history, and text history.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site

'Association with' ? a.k.a. as 'registered to' on the internet ? is not enough (edited by Moderator)
If someone was killed with the car that is registered to you that doesn't automatically prove that you were behind the wheel ? a.k.a. personally responsible ? when it happened, does it?
Does nobody else ever use your phone?

Last edited by a moderator:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
'Association with' – a.k.a. as 'registered to' on the internet – is not enough (edited by Moderator) .
If someone was killed with the car that is registered to you that doesn't automatically prove that you were behind the wheel – a.k.a. personally responsible – when it happened, does it?

No, just me :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
'Association with' – a.k.a. as 'registered to' on the internet – is not enough(Edited by Moderator)
If someone was killed with the car that is registered to you that doesn't automatically prove that you were behind the wheel – a.k.a. personally responsible – when it happened, does it?

But they will still question you.

Name calling is a great way to prove your point too. Gives you so much credibility.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Please keep things civil.

SlackBlade

May 10, 2012
Visit site
More than likely the fingerprint is converted into a number. That number is then written on a secure location on the chip. When the finger is scanned, it converts the number again and compares it to the stored number. If they match, it unlocks. This is similar to how a Hardware Security Module (HSM) for PIN for an ATM is used. The HSM data can never be read directly ever,no matter what you do. It can only respond when a value is entered to tell you if it matches. If you try to access the chip directly, the data automatically corrupts.

We know there is at least one secure eliminate or space on the phones if they support Near Field Communication (NFC). It would stand to reason that the fingerprint data is stored there or in another secure element on the phone.

Depending on how strict the phone is with its matching criteria, which would have to balance a slightly crooked or misaligned finger with security and speed, it will be more secure then a PIN which can already be broken based on time constraints only. Patterns, depending on how complex, are more secure than PIN, but both would suffer from "shoulder surfing" (watching over your shoulder as you enter it).

Therefore, the finger is probably the most secure and would be the most difficult to reproduce.

Edited autocorect errors.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC