Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenrob2037
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy Virus or Malware

I have a virus or a malware. Running Android 4.1.2. I have tried virus checkers (4) and malwarebytes to get rid of it, nothing worked. I reset my phone (Samsung Galaxy 2) back to factory setting, that didn't work.

It keeps downloading games, even though I have automatic downloads turned off. The only way to stop it is by turning off wi-fi and 3G.

Sort of throwing it in the bin, has anyone a thought on how I can get rid of whatever is doing this?

Cheers

Rob

Default Re: Virus or Malware

Welcome to Android Central! What games does it install? Are they only games, or other apps as well? Are any of those apps ones you had installed before? Try going to Settings>Backup & reset, and uncheck "Back up my data" and "Automatic restore." Then do another factory reset.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Hi B. Diddy,

Thanks for the welcome.

They are only games, nothing else. Card games, bowling games, that sort of thing, I have never installed any game app on my Android. OK, if I don't back up my data before I restore again, will it not remember my data from the previous time?

Cheers

Rob

That's what I was hoping for, but if the apps being downloaded are games you never installed before, then you may be right--it may be malware. What's puzzling to me is how this could happen after a factory data reset, which should wipe the phone clean. How did you do the reset the first time?

Before this started happening, do you recall installing any apps that weren't from Google Play or Amazon Appstore? Any .apk installer files from filesharing sites?

I think it's still worth trying the reset after unchecking those boxes.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I did try what you suggested and it worked. Beauty. It was obviously re-downloading the corruption as I had backup turned on. Turned it off, did anthoher factory reset and now it's all cool.

Thank for your help B.Diddy, great job.

Cheers

Rob
    B. Diddy likes this.

Great! Although I'd reserve final judgment until after a few days, to make sure things don't crop up again after a little while.

Hey i am a newbie here. But b Diddy did ask a very valid point where did you download this app from? Was it in the google play store or third party app?

Posted via Android Central App