My email accounts have been hacked two times

sickle2

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Now I'm tired. I've never root my device, nor make something stupid. I'm full secured, apart these facts. I have two incidents to report with Android.

1) With My Phone Samsung SGH-T589R

While subscribing my email accounts, I has been asked to also subscribe my Hotmail email account. "Good idea !" So I've provided my Hotmail credentials... One day after, I got calls from my Hotmail contacts about spam. Even Microsoft told me that my account has been hacked when I've connected to my email account. So I changed my password, and stop to use my phone for something else than phone calls.

2) Recently With My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1

My email accounts was subscribed for a long period without any trouble, until now. One of my account has been hacked after I've accepted the new security access requirements for LEGITIMATED apps. I can't remember the name of these applications. I have one requirement : please, so please, make these requirements OPTIONAL so that we can choose which access to give, and which access to forbid.

Conclusion,

I'll stop to use my Android devices for sensitive purposes until security be taken more and more seriously.

Claude Petit

Last edited:

Dogmann

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi sickle2,

Sorry to hear of your issues but could you please explain what you mean by

"While subscribing my email accounts, I has been asked to also subscribe my Hotmail email account." as i am having trouble in understanding what you mean by this could you please explain exactly what you mean and have done.

If you are setting up an e-mail account on your phone are you using the built in e-mail app? and are you then just entering your account and password details? or are you doing something else?

Why not just download the Outlook.com app direct from the Playstore for your Hotmail account? as that is totally safe you can also do the same for a Yahoo account with their app and there is also a Gmail app which you could use instead as an alternative to using a built in app.

You really shouldn't of had a problem with your e-mail accounts and this is hardly an Android problem because if it was then all the forums and websites all over the Internet would be full of people complaining about having this happen to them as Android has i believe around a Billion users now.

Marc

sickle2

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I was just setting up my email accounts, when a window appears prompting me for my Hotmail crendentials. The Outlook.com app didn't exist.

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I was just setting up my email accounts, when a window appears prompting me for my Hotmail crendentials. The Outlook.com app didn't exist.

For starters the Outlook app is here.

Secondly I fail to see how you are able to blame android for the: security flaws in Hotmail- they should have their own in-built security. If you're having issues with your E-Mails being 'hacked' what is being sent, and when?

sickle2

May 24, 2014
Visit site
From my Android devices, they had access to my credentials. What has been sent from my accounts you asked me ? SPAM !!!!!!!!

edit : When ??? one day after each of the reported actions

Last edited:

MADDROID1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm not sure where your hack originated, but my yahoo mail account was hacked a couple of years ago. I only used that account on my PC, not my phone. I changed my password and problem wemt away. I feel for you though. I had to apologize to all my contacts and explain that I wasn't spamming them.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

sickle2

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Me it was the opposite : my devices have been hacked but not my PC. The worst, was my phone. With my tablet, it was an update asking for more privileges.

Michael Nancarrow

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Hmm, just beef up your security.

Change your password to something extremely stupid: Pa55w0rd, Pa$$w0rd, P@$$w0rD etc.
Add on an AV and/or firewall on your phone, so you feel protected. Most of the paid versions support account security.
Add a homescreen lock, and an app lock just to prevent your device being physically compromised.

Failing that just try filtering your E-Mails (for PC): https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/thunderbird/addon/send-filter/

There are also alternatives for just E-Mail account locks. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thinkyeah.emaillocker

Just for added info: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/protect-your-android-device/

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Since the OP believes the hack to have happened on his cell, the best thing to do would be to change the password on the desktop version.

sickle2

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Ok... I'll ask everybody to read from the beginning. The password has not been hacked by brute force attack, nor by dictionary attack. For my tablet, the password has been hacked by a software installed on my tablet reading the account settings preserved in the internal storage of my tablet. It was a normal POP3/SMTP account. That's it, that's all. With my phone, I had a window asking me for my hotmail credentials while I was setting up another email account, and I stupidly accepted to provide them. That's it, that's all.

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Its really surprising to hear that your mail is hacked twice. I researched on this issue and found some readings from the internet. There it was written clearly that Google can accept any application without verifying the security and internal details of it. With a single registration on the Google store, one can easily upload any harmful application.
Whenever that type of file is installed in the smartphone, it automatically initiate itself and generate a vulnerable flaw within the security. Through that flaw one can easily hack your smartphone.
So this seems as the major factory that may have led to your mail id hacking.

sickle2

May 24, 2014
Visit site
And who do you want to get access to my phone while I'm sleeping, my grandmother ? Now, the only help I need is... stop to help me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech